• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

The clutch kit question?

Hemi2c

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm needing to change my clutch on my 73 Cuda, 340 stock engine. (A833)

what's the most common/brand kit to use? with no problems.

Thinking of rebuilding the 340 in the future so would like to use a clutch kit that will handle the new HP output? (550-600hp)

Thanks
Al

Steve340

Reaction score
I have purchased a Centreforce. I have not fitted this one yet but I had one in my last car and it was light pedal pressure and no slipping.
They are pricey but they do work well.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Be careful of the dust if it is a really old clutch it may have asbestos use a can of brake parts cleaner and wash the dust rather then an airline or brush. Get your flywheel machined to give your new clutch the best chance of a long life. As far as brands go as long as you get a good brand and avoid cheap Ebay specials you should be fine I think the way you use the clutch will decide how well it holds up.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Agree with Steve - Centerforce clutches are tough. I ran their dual-friction clutch in a plow truck I had and it was fantastic. The more throttle you gave it, the more the clutch grabbed. Absolutely zero slipping under extreme load and good pedal feel. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. I will be installing Centerforce clutches in both of my Mopars...

Hemi2c

Reaction score
Be careful of the dust if it is a really old clutch it may have asbestos use a can of brake parts cleaner and wash the dust rather then an airline or brush. Get your flywheel machined to give your new clutch the best chance of a long life. As far as brands go as long as you get a good brand and avoid cheap Ebay specials you should be fine I think the way you use the clutch will decide how well it holds up.

Oh, ok will do.

I contacted Elko in Melbourne they are recommending the Mcleod Twin clutch kit for $1050AU?
They also advised to look at the Sachs single clutch kit? approx $700AU

What do you think?

Steve340

Reaction score
I know little about the twin plate clutches and they probably are great but find out if you need it? Review the product sometimes I read about issues and think no way could I live with that.
Is there any real advantage for your style of driving?
I am not saying no good just evaluate what you need. I bought my Centreforce dual friction from a local supplier in New Zealand for $750 if that is a comparison. I had to wait a month for it but it was cheaper than ordering it direct from the US.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I will not touch a C Force clutch , one lasted 1 weekend , + they are great for having the pedal stay on the floor on high RPM shifts , male sure you have a rev limiter , I install C force in the trash Bin .
I use McLeod clutches , the owner is a Mopar guy & the quality is far higher

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I sourced mine through American Powrtrain. Very knowledgeable on what you need for each application. Just my 2 cents

moparleo

Reaction score
Depends a lot on where you live. Stuff is much more reasonable here in the states. If you are going the high horse route, use a new flywheel or at the very least a reconditioned one that has been magna-fluxed and ground instead of lathe turned.

70Barracuda

Reaction score
I used a C force dual friction in my 378/340 power shifting quite a bit with no issues whatsoever.

AUSTA

Reaction score
This is what i am using on 340 with 6 speed tremec Silver Sport haven't fitted it yet mcleod fly wheel both pressure & flywheel needed some light balancing before fitting.

FWMP-464102 130 tooth billet steel flywheel for 6 bolt internally balanced Mopar SBM/BBM engines. Made in USA with induction hardened ring gear 1 299.95

FWA-00912 Chevy/Mopar/Ford Flywheel Bolts, set of 6 1 16.95

CLA-GRP1050 SST Advanced Friction™ GRP clutch set.

• 10.5" • 26 spline • Sprung hub disc design with Marcel cushion • True dual friction - Full face organic/Segmented ceramic • Light pedal effort • Smooth street characteristics • 550 Torque capacity • Release bearing and alignment tool included

1 329.95

CAA-00910 GM/Mopar Pressure plate bolt, Set of 6. Also used with SST brand Ford flywheels 1 16.95

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Virtually all Mopars / flywheels will take an 11" disc , no reason to use a smaller one with less surface area

Back