• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Crate engine recommendations and insights

70pumpkin

Reaction score
Finally getting around to replacing the tired 318 with something more potent (and turnkey). There are stage 3 360 and 408 engines from ATK and Blueprint, but I really don't know much about either of them. If anyone has any recommendations, experience or insight into these or any other engines, I'd love to hear from you.

Btw, my goal is better (not best) performance and dependability for a reasonable price - just want to have more fun with the car.

Thanks in advance!

Ralph

Reaction score
I have had great success with CME
Carolina Machine engines
Bets

Avalanche

Reaction score
whichever you go with, if you want dependability then make sure it has fuel injection.
For easy startup and go, much better than a carb.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
I went big and bought the 392 crate from Chrysler. Love it but it's a bit of work to get it all complete.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
While I'm here I have a issue. My 73 Cuda has this nasty front fender shake going over any sort of bumps fast or slow. Drives me nuts. Everything is new up front. Thoughts.

moparleo

Reaction score
Everything might be new but even new parts can go bad. Get her up on a lift and check for excess play at every joint. Ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, idler arm, center-link, bushings, strut rods. Recheck torque on all fasteners.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Finally getting around to replacing the tired 318 with something more potent (and turnkey). There are stage 3 360 and 408 engines from ATK and Blueprint, but I really don't know much about either of them. If anyone has any recommendations, experience or insight into these or any other engines, I'd love to hear from you.
Btw, my goal is better (not best) performance and dependability for a reasonable price - just want to have more fun with the car.
Thanks in advance!

I am doing a lot of research myself on this, and have looked at both Blueprint and ATK. I have contacted both, and will summarize my thoughts on both.

Blueprint pluses: Great warranty, dyno ran before shipped, cast or Edelbrock heads, good price.
Blueprint minuses: Uses reconditioned rods vs new, hydraulic flat tappet cam only, limited custom options

ATK pluses: Uses Magnum block, Hydraulic roller cam, good warranty, uses Edelbrock heads, all new rotating assembly.
ATK minuses: Can not use LA intake, limited custom options, more expensive vs Blueprint.

In the end it looks like I am going with a different company then these two. Right now I am leaning towards Performance Injection Equipment. Chris will do a semi custom engine for about the price of ATK. His base engine has cast Engine Quest heads that he has ported to flow better then standard Edelbrock's, along with the springs matched to the cam, which he has several to choose from. You also can get LA style intake manifolds. All the engines are dynoed before shipment. The only real downside is no written warranty.

SHOP

AUSTA

Reaction score
I bought a crate 340 from a company in Colorado E/Q heads KB 243 pistons with a Dyno report.
When i started the engine it was clattering so i dropped the heads & found the pistons were kissing the heads
They used KB 243 pistons which are .018 above the deck with the flat E/Q heads & a 39 thou head gasket meaning it only head around .020 clearance at TDC
I don't know how it passed the Dyno at 5000RPM i suspect the dyno was from a similar engine they had tested.
Managed to save the engine , he apologised & shipped new pistons & rings but my machinist said it looked like it had been decked with a rasp & honed with a cheap 3 stone the bores were stuffed had to go to 60 over 6,000 mile still going strong.
If you have the know how use a good machinist & assemble yourself .
If using a crate engine company history & a solid warranty is a must

RJHJR

Reaction score
I have had these guys build a 383 and a 340 for me.
Real happy with both.
HOME

DrEamer

Reaction score
No warranty sounds bogus, even a used engine from a junk yard usually has a short warranty period.

Let me clarify, they offer a warranty, but not a mileage/ duration warranty like some of the bigger places. That said, a warranty is no good unless the manufacturer is willing to back it up. I have seen a couple of cases in reviews where the bigger places did not.
Mopar Crate Engine & Cylinder Head Warranties

70pumpkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights on pros & cons of ATK vs. Blueprint. I'll look into the other companies mentioned.
A friend of a friend's shop is doing the install for me so I know they can be trusted - they said they could build a motor, but the cost would be more than a crate.

Back