• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 Challenger side molding question

Doc Corey

Reaction score
I'm restoring 2 71's, one is the light metallic green, vinyl top. This car has the clip on full-length aluminum side moldings. I don't see any other 71's with this trim. I have most of the old trim, but before I restore with the trim I want to make sure there's at least a chance for finding replacements for the future. I know they had a "western" package with this trim but I don't think this is one of those cars. Sadly I don't have the fender tag. Any help would be appreciated. Corey in Raymore MO>

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I think I have some of that trim that I just acquired but I haven’t inspected all of it yet.
I’ll check it out tomorrow.
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! How about some pics?

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Can't really get a good pic of the car in my cramped garage, but it's basically ground-up. Car was rusty but very straight.

1524493425684.jpg

20180729_124823.jpg

20180729_125003.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Here’s what I have.
The bottom picture is obvious, 3 passenger and 5 driver's side quarter panel.
The middle picture I believe to be all 7 door pieces as they’re all 56.25” but with 2 different style clips so I’m thinking 1970 used the push in style clips that require a hole in the panel and the later used surface mounted plastic clips?
The top picture must be 3 fender pieces which are almost 59” and the tape is marked ‘70 fender from the previous owner.
None of them are in great condition but I know some people work miracles with stainless trim so I’m assuming since the previous owner saw fit to keep them that they’re likely restorable??
31E39AAA-B0EC-4E46-9B66-756A8F0924BD.jpeg
6AAE1593-86E1-45EF-BCF8-08C99F9CE750.jpeg
510D4C84-C1FC-4C86-AFBC-9E57E388CBF2.jpeg

Ray Evins

Reaction score
I’m restoring a 1970 F8 green Challenger R/T. It had body side molding with green vinyl. It’s on my build sheet but some of the vinyl is missing and damage to to some of the pieces. I tried to find some for several months and so I’m told nobody makes a replacement. I had 1/4” holes down both sides we welded them up for the time being. Figured if I ever find any I can redrill holes if necessary. If anybody has any I’m still looking just couldn’t let it hold up progress.

Doc Corey

Reaction score
I’m restoring a 1970 F8 green Challenger R/T. It had body side molding with green vinyl. It’s on my build sheet but some of the vinyl is missing and damage to to some of the pieces. I tried to find some for several months and so I’m told nobody makes a replacement. I had 1/4” holes down both sides we welded them up for the time being. Figured if I ever find any I can redrill holes if necessary. If anybody has any I’m still looking just couldn’t let it hold up progress.
Are the '70 moldings the same as the 71's (aside from the coloring)? Mine had coloring on the vinyl, but I thought that was just overspray.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Doc Corey
Welcome to FEBO from New Jersey
You have two nice cars to restore.
Nice work on that Challenger front floor pan.
Have you started a restoration thread?
Keep everyone posted on your progress!
Dino2 (1).gif

Back