• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 cuda restorations

hulmule

Reaction score
The car is a 72 Cuda , 340 3 speed . Had factory duals with cut outs.Right now the car is on the rotisserie.Would like some inputs plus a question.
My friend noticed that an exhaust hanger was missing on the passenger side before it goes over the axles on the rear upper floor board. It was never there from factory. He feels it should be and added one on his car. Anyone ever seen this ? There's one on the drivers side from factory.
Noticed center support for roof is pulled away from roof. Do i fill gap between or cut out and raise to meet roof and reweld in ??
I welded in torque boxes and frame ties.Going to layout for vinyl top trim cause of new quarters were installed.Pretty much ready to ship to my painter friend and start getting ready for paint. So while in this stage anything else i should look at?

Adam

Reaction score
There should be a dimple where the second hanger goes, easy enough to install a screw type hanger..

For the center support/dome light brace I would just clean up the surfaces and squeeze a little body panel adhesive in there; if the roof is in good shape.
Although, I am not sure the factory used anything to secure the roof to the brace. You could cause high or low spots in hot/cold weather...

I would also suggest getting a good look at the bottom of the Dutchman panel (b/t trunk lid and rear window). I believe these are bare metal underneath and could benefit from POR 15, or other treatment if rust is present..

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
They did use some sort or adhesive in between the roof and the centre brace. If it is bent I would remove it, straighten it and check it fits well then re weld it, if you try and push it back up you risk denting the roof skin where there is currently no gap. When I fitted a new roof skin there was a dent in the roof and this was that brace pushing up in one area as soon as I removed it the dent was gone then I straightened it and used a bit of seam sealer (because it was on hand) between it and the roof skin. I was tempted to mess with it without removing it but I'm glad I removed it first.

quapman

Reaction score
72's did NOT have the second hanger that mirrors the driver's side. The hanger on the pass. side is attached to the shock crossmember and supports the over axle pipe at the top. Check out Accurate Exhaust's website for details.

There's no reason you can't add the second hanger to the rear seat panel, unless you're going for a 100% concours resto.

hulmule

Reaction score
So i went to the Accurate Exhaust web site. Do i need to drill holes or weld those muffle hanger in the trunk now? Would like some better pictures so i know what to do. thx.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
I bought my hangers from TTI and bolted them in after measuring and marking the core t spots. They look great. Don't know why my Cuda did not have em. It was a dual 340 car from the factory.

Back