• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 challenger R/T se with a 383 2 bbl???

convdart440

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just finally bought my dream car. A 1970 challenger r/t se red with black and grey insert interior!!! I'm buying it as a project and I'm okay with that...its a numbers matching car but the fender tag is pretty rough but I can still see all the number match up on motor and drivetrain. My issue is that when I ran the vin it came up as a 383 2 bbl...everywhere I've looked online shows that the base r/t is a 383 4 bbl. I'm going to pick up the car in 2 weeks and I can confirm then by pulling the filter off but I was wondering if anyone knows of an r/t with a 2 bbl? I'm building the car for me and not to sell I actual was looking for this specific car because my dad had an se 383 4 bbl when he was my age and got rid of it for $500!!!! Oh boy the 80's...anyway i would love to keep the numbers matching engine in if it was a 4bbl or if I can built it to a close version. I can wait and know for sure in 2 weeks but I'm barely sleeping as it is waiting to drive 4 states away to pick it up. Also if it is possible what would be the best route in turning the "low" 383 into the magnum or 4 bbl...4 bbl carb and intake, cam,...???
Thanks sorry for the long readView attachment 51505
Cody
The way I see it is you can go several ways. Restore it as it was ordered, when was the last time you saw a 383 challenger with a 2 barrel carb? OR the other direction is make it what you want it to be for you, especially if you plan on keeping it. Throw two more sets of 2 barrel carbs, and a MP purple shaft Cam and good set of heads and it will be better then the magnum motors were back in the day. put in a 5 speed manual transmission , sure grip with 3.55 or 3.73 gears with 4 wheel power disc brakes and upgrade the suspension with larger torsion bars, sway bars front and rear and that my friend would be one bitching ride!!!

Back