• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1Year into the restoration

Martin

Reaction score
Just rounded out 1 year of the restoration on the 73 Cuda. Still having fun, but definitely a lot of work. Couple of things i have learned over the course of the year:
- my original plan was to be done with all metal work by now. That sounded good. But life happens and 45 yr old cars have all kinds of hidden surprises
- Where there is rust, there is more rust and more rust behind that rust
- I have found some of the sloppiest metal work from the factory, so it does feel like I’m building it back better than what it was
- test welding clean well clamped metal on the work bench has very little to do with welding on the car
- welding thin gauge sheet metal in general sucks, doing it inside a trunk or wheel well just makes it more fun
- My BFH and impact wrench are now my best friends
- it is fun learning new stuff, like my metal working tools and paint gun
- time is on my side, and i’m taking the time to stop and fix all the little issues i find.

It does seem like progress. Getting stuff done one project at a time and proving it can be done (yes i have some of those people hovering).

1BBBB125-4541-4FF4-BAE4-175EF92564CE.jpeg

85E12B71-C074-48A8-85EA-ADC3E2F51BF4.jpeg

moparlee

Reaction score
Looks really good Martin :thumbsup:. You have the right plan - it's not a race and attacking one part at a time and fixing it right will give you the best results. Keep us up to date on your progress.

sportster2000

Reaction score
It took me ten years to do mine and I wasn't even trying to put it back to original. I was just trying to put it together. I found out that if a part is advertised to fit as a reproduction then it may still have fitment issues. This is where you take your time to get it right.

rklein71

Reaction score
It took me three years to get mine running on the road. I still have a year or two before I call it done. You are right, welding in the trunk is really hard with an E-body. Rod

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

Back