• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

6 Cylinder vs V8 front Disc Brakes

money pit

Reaction score
I have a 70 Barracuda with a slant six. It has front disc brakes. I'm installing a 360 in it. Is there a difference between the braking systems? Do I need to replace the calipers and rotors? I have 14 inch ralley wheels. If I do have to do a conversion, will I need to get larger wheels? Thanks

hellrats

Reaction score
Your brakes will be fine. Having disc brakes is a plus as too.

money pit

Reaction score
Thanks that's good to hear. This car is really becoming a money pit but I'll never sell it.

340challconvert

Reaction score
If you would like to go up one step, consider upgrading your existing disc brakes using stock Mopar parts from 73-74 e bodies, 73 on b body and 73-76 A body parts. This swap allows you to use the 11.75" mopar police rotor. (which are readily available, not like our current two piece 70 rotors)

Your stock disc brakes are fine, especially with the small block (less weight over the front wheels) and no big changes are really necessary.

The key with this upgrade is to use the correct steering knuckle to maintain correct suspension geometry.
Check out this Ehrenberg article.
DISC-O-TECH: Stop on a dime from Mopar Action and Rick Ehrenberg

For my brake rebuild, I kept it simple, rebuilt the front end with mostly stock 1970 parts, bought new 1 piece replacement rotors that had support ribs in the back with the smaller inner bearings and upgraded to larger tie rods. I do have a list of stock Moog front end part numbers if you need it.
Good luck with your money pit!
(They all are, but we still love them)
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

money pit

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll take a look at the article. Appreciate your help.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Since that article was writen, there is more knowledge about brakes. You can without trouble use the newer 73 up B brakes. Money pit, I would research it and come to your own conclusion, since it is still a controversal subject.

money pit

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks. I looked at the article. a lot of good info.

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
For reference: I believe all challengers use the same disc brakes for the year - ie. the disc brakes on a 1970 slant six would be the same as a 1970 440 car.

aussiemark

Reaction score
For reference: I believe all challengers use the same disc brakes for the year - ie. the disc brakes on a 1970 slant six would be the same as a 1970 440 car.
I agree in the factory service manual there is only one set up for the 1970 Challenger, another way to confirm would be to cross reference the brake pad part number to see which cars they fit I bet the slant uses the same pads as a Hemi.

money pit

Reaction score
I agree in the factory service manual there is only one set up for the 1970 Challenger, another way to confirm would be to cross reference the brake pad part number to see which cars they fit I bet the slant uses the same pads as a Hemi.
Thanks, that's good to know. This car is a money pit, as my name implies.

hellrats

Reaction score
A Ford can get expensive too. Especially a big bock.

hellrats

Reaction score
Body is the worst if you ask me. I hate it and it cost so much to have it done correctly it's crazy! The aftermarket sheet metal doesn't fit very well so you need a good body man, and that ain't me!! LOL

moparleo

Reaction score
Make sure to do a full brake inspection. Meaning front to rear including all hoses, hard lines ( dents, dings, rust) lining, springs, cylinders (seepage, leaks, stuck pistons) master cylinder (sediment, leaks). Completely drain and flush with fresh, new fluid. This is standard maintenance for all brake systems, not just 40 + year old brakes.

money pit

Reaction score
Make sure to do a full brake inspection. Meaning front to rear including all hoses, hard lines ( dents, dings, rust) lining, springs, cylinders (seepage, leaks, stuck pistons) master cylinder (sediment, leaks). Completely drain and flush with fresh, new fluid. This is standard maintenance for all brake systems, not just 40 + year old brakes.
That was the plan since the rear end I got had the lines exposed. I plan on replacing all the steel lines and junction blocks and wheel cylinders. The plan is to go to rear discs.

aussiemark

Reaction score
That was the plan since the rear end I got had the lines exposed. I plan on replacing all the steel lines and junction blocks and wheel cylinders. The plan is to go to rear discs.
I totally agree but I am probably the worst offender just lazy I suppose, but annual brake fluid changes are a great for preventative maintenance even if you don't use the car the fluid absorbs moisture which causes damage to everything changing the fluid is cheap and easy compared to repairing the damage the moisture can cause.

Back