• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

i677.jpg

'59 Dodge D500

General Description

By that fall of '62 I changed cars again getting out of making a car payment on a vehicle that wasn't legal for street use a '60 Pontiac A/S car.

BANDITO I - 1962-65 - 1959 DODGE D500 - H/SA-I/SA

BANDITO II -1966-67 - 1964 DODGE 330 - B/SA-C/SA

BANDITO III - 1969-72 - 1969 DODGE SIX-PACK - D/SA-SS/FA

#1. Now purchasing a 1959 Dodge D500. Little did I know this would be a major brand change that has lasted for close to 50 years. The 1st in a series of BANDITO Dodges named by Dave Strickler of "Old Reliable" fame and later "The Dodge Boys".

The D500 was a fun car to drive and lasted until moving to Colorado in 1965. Sold the car to make the move and pay off loans from a local speed shop.

#2. We found a very clean 1964 Dodge Cornet in '67 that I thought would be a good class car. Sold this one after running a season, found it was not a good class car as first thought.

#3. Now being out of racing until the fall of 1968 when I saw a new 1969 Dodge Super Bee "Six-Pack" being unloaded at a dealership in West Denver. This was No. 2 car of 5 cars delivered in the Rocky Mountain region at the time. This car could run under the AHRA/NHRA Association class index's on a regular bases at any track we went to. We ran the car every available weekend from 1969 through the 1972 seasons.

#4. My current toy is a '70 Dodge Challenger RT - Pro ET/Super Stock car.

We took the car to our local drag strip Bandimere's Speedway in Denver CO before starting the rebuild process to see how it performed, check weight and handling. After a short testing period in 2004 we felt it was in need of help.

2004 Testing in Denver CO at a mile high we had a best of 12.98 ET @ 101.26 mph. Almost a second slower than its best time when in competition in Brainred, MN several years before, if told the truth? We realized the car would be slower being a "Mile High" in Denver CO, thinner air than MN.

"PROJECT MOPAR" was reborn, work would be completed at a local restoration, race car shop in Commerce City, Colorado. We thank Mr. Daniel Newbold for his advise and top rate workmanship. The car under went a rotisserie restoration.

• 2005 after a year’s worth of changes original 3465 lb. empty was now down to 3165 lb. without driver.
A good diet for an all steel street legal car other than the fiberglass hood which is not the light weight model.
  • 2006 testing in Denver CO at a mile high we had a best of 11.91 ET @ 112.95 mph.
  • 2007 with more changes the car was 3125 lb. without driver, a best of 11.68 ET @ 116.95 mph.
  • 2008 testing in Salt Lake City UT @4,925' lower than Denver CO @5,860' with the car at same weight 3125 lb. without driver, a best of 11.30 ET @ 120.09 mph.
  • Car has been on jack stands in a heated garage since 2008, work schedules & health issues have prevented playing. I start the car to keep everything lubed & run it through the gears every (6) weeks around the clock.
Now its for sale at a big savings to the new owner.

Here's a few friends small block Mopars.

A Super Comp '27 Chrysler Speedster that runs 9 flat in Denver, and a '71 Challenger Pro car that's running 10.50s.

:icon_thumbdown:​

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Item information

Category
Member Garages
Added by
projectmopar
Views
Last update

More in Member Garages

Share this item