• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

IMG_6867.jpg

73 Cuda: Project Plum Crazy

Ground up build of my 73 Cuda I bought as a rolling chassis.

General Description

This is my 1973 Cuda I bought myself for my birthday! Always wanted one and it just appear a week before my birthday on Craig's List. Figure it was fate, so I bought it. Previous owner had too many projects going on, so he was thinning his fleet. Ended up he lived right down the road, so it was meant to be.

This is my first full car build, so I'm in over my head. But that is the best way to learn. I worked on my truck and classic bronco, but nothing of this scale. Looking forward to doing new things I've not tried before. Plus we'll see if an average guy can build a car in his garage.

The Car
- 1973 Cuda That was originally a 340/auto car
- car was basically a rolling chassis when I bought it, no motor or transmission, nor a bunch of other parts
The Plan
I was looking for a rolling chassis any way. Plan is to build a daily driver with modern suspension, new hemi, and new 6sp. Goal is restomod look with the AAR style paint scheme. So the car being mostly gutted actually worked out well for me.
The former owner gave me some parting wisdom upon the sale: do one thing at a time. I think that's a good idea, I am starting at the back and working forward, doing the rust repair first. Timeline is probably a couple of years given my time constraints.
Should be fun!

Comments

I posted a few in the gallery, I need to resize some pics as they are too big to post.

Enjoy the ride, get rid of all your big HAMMERS and take your time. Looks like you have a good place to start .

Good luck with the project. It will be challenging but fun, especially once its all done. Hey, I am looking for a 1973 Barracuda, manual tranny, backup light switch wire harness . Tried everywhere but no luck so far. Do you have any idea where I might find one? Thanks

Lots of fun stuff going down with the Cuda. Finished tearing down the rear and blasted the tail pan. Cleaned up the door jams prepping for the new quarters. Stripping most of the rust and junk off the frame rails. Repairing some areas with patch panels. Next up is pulling the rear end and putting in the mini tubs! Then I can start putting the trunk floor back together.

Good luck with the project. It will be challenging but fun, especially once its all done. Hey, I am looking for a 1973 Barracuda, manual tranny, backup light switch wire harness . Tried everywhere but no luck so far. Do you have any idea where I might find one? Thanks
That’s a good question. I am a long Way from wiring so haven’t even started looking yet

Was trying to upload a few more pics, but they are too big apparently. I’ll try to get that figured out.

Oh Yeah, i ran into my first 2 spots of lead filler. The Quarter to rocker gap was all lead. Pretty thick too. Air hammer pealed off a lot of it.

lots of fun stuff happening on the cuda. had the car completely blasted and primed. stripped the drivetrain and have it up on rollers. new one piece trunk pan is in. now on to the quarters and tailpan. slow going, but stopping and taking time to clean up lots of little problem areas. test fit of all the rear end parts went better than i though it would, but still lots of massaging needed.

lots of fun stuff happening on the cuda. had the car completely blasted and primed. stripped the drivetrain and have it up on rollers. new one piece trunk pan is in. now on to the quarters and tailpan. slow going, but stopping and taking time to clean up lots of little problem areas. test fit of all the rear end parts went better than i though it would, but still lots of massaging needed.
also went ahead and sectioned the frame rails for the mini tubs. adds a good bit of space.

Working on some patch panels on the rear wheel wells. Getting close to being ready to put the quarters back on.

Item information

Category
Member Garages
Added by
Martin
Views
Watchers
Comments
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More in Member Garages