• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

100_1225.JPG

Original owner 1970 Challenger RT

I bought this 1970 Dodge Challenge RT shortly after I returned from Vietnam. Ordered in late 69 and took delivery in January 1970 in San Jose, California. Car also lived in Chicago, South Florida, and Atlanta.

General Description

In 1969, I completed my tour in Viet Nam with the US Army and returned home to San Jose, California. I went back to work at IBM and soon decided that I deserved a new car.

I was driving a canary yellow 1966 Chevy Malibu with a 283 and 3-speed on the column, and nice mag wheels. It was actually a pretty nice looking car, and it was great for dates, as it had a bench front seat.

A Corvette was the car to have, so I went shopping for one.

Sorry to say, but I got sticker shock when I saw the price for a new 1970 Corvette Stingray.

It was selling for $6300, including air conditioning (I wish I could get one for that price now).

I'll talk more about air conditioning later.

I already knew insurance would be expensive too, and decided then that I could not afford the Corvette.

Fortunately, I noticed a new car model at the Dodge dealership across the street.

I made a beeline there and immediately liked what I saw - the new 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T. The closest car to what I wanted was an orange RT with a 4-speed and the 383 motor. The test drive clinched it. I really liked the car.

I called my girlfriend and told her about the car. She tried to talk me out of it and buy a Mustang Mach 1 instead. I told her Mustangs were too common, and I wanted something different.

I ordered one from the factory rather than settling for what was available on the lot. My order included the 375 HP 440 CID engine and the 4-speed Hurst pistol grip shifter. That was probably the biggest engine option with a full 5-year/50,000 mile warranty. It also came with the Track Pack performance package that included a Dana 60 rear end, dual points, 15-inch wide track rallye wheels, and heavy duty everything. The color was the High Impact Top Banana yellow with a black bumble bee stripe and a black vinyl top and interior.

I paid $4200 for the car. It was paid off in 3 years at $120/month. Wish I could get a new Challenger Demon for that price.

My car arrived in January 1970, in plenty of time for my birthday in February. I was in heaven and the envy of other drivers when I went cruising. Needless to say, my girlfriend loved the car.

I left beautiful San Jose in 1972 and moved to Chicago, driving my car via Route 66 - what a great experience. The car endured 9 years of Chicago winters and salted roads.

In 1981, IBM moved me to Boca Raton, Florida. I had the car shipped this time, as I was now married with a family. In Florida, the car endured the humidity and salt air.

In 1986, IBM moved me to Atlanta, and my car also made the move. I quickly had some body work done to remove rust caused by Chicago and Florida salt.

I'm still driving the Challenger, though not as much due to the price of gas and wear and tear on the car. It gets about 8 miles per gallon since I had the motor rebuilt and bored out. Also, Atlanta gets very warm and humid in the summer.

Talk about gettnig warm! Air conditioning was not available on that car - the choice was between a 4-speed and air conditioning. Plus the engine puts out a lot of heat that gets past the firewall. I don't know how I survived 5 years in Florida driving it everyday - I was much younger then. Much of Florida gets a 20-minute downpour in the afternoon, often on my way home from work. All the windows had to be rolled up, and it really got steamy in the car.

By the way... the heater core went out years ago, and I plugged up the hoses and didn't replace the heater core. That means I also don't have heat in the winter. But, as I said, the engine puts out lots of heat, so it's not bad.

When my wife Nancy suggested that I get rid of the Challenger, and I told her that I've known my car longer than I've known her. She hasn't brought it up again until recently, and my sons hope I keep it so that they can inherit it when I die. Now, my daughters are asking why either son thinks he should get the car. Now, Nancy says the car is hers if I go before she does.

I continued to drive the car everyday until about 10 years ago, so I also put up with Hotlanta weather for a long time.

About five years ago, my younger son Ryan was working a drifting event. He drove his project car - a black Nissan 240SX. He's actually very good. I wanted to park at the event to watch him drive. The only way I could do that was to pay $20 to enter my car in the car show. The alternative was to park a long way from there. I got a 1st place trophy for my class - whatever it was. I suspect I was the only car in that class, since most of the other cars were very modified. The attached pictures of my car and trophy were taken the next day.

Problems get fixed quickly, so the car is in really nice condition and runs well.

The car gets a lot of attention, and I get a lot of compliments about the car - probably more than if I had bought the Corvette!

By the way, my wife is also still with me, and I'm sure the car will outlast both of us.

... And I've been driving with a grin from ear to ear for 48 years now!
100_1225.JPG

Comments

Fantastic story and glad to see you kept the Challenger and your significant other all those years.
It looks really great.
I have a Y1 top banana A-66 Challenger convertible, unfortunately I'm not the original owner but I have had my Challenger since 1979. I really appreciate you sharing a good story with us.

Thanks for sharing your great story. I bought my a 72 Challenger in 1975. My dad took me to a Chrysler dealership in San Jose on Steven's Creek Blvd. We checked out a few used Challengers. I knew I wanted a Challenger after seeing the movie Vanishing Point when it came out. My dad was a journeyman "body & fender man" and was working for Capital Ford in San Jose at the time. We looked at one brown metalic Challenger and he quickly noticed the quarter panel had been replaced (thus it had been in a wreck). We were driving on Steven's Creek after leaving the Chrysler dealership. I was bummed out since we did not find a Challenger. However I was looking out the passengers side window of our Plymouth Fury VIP when all of a sudden I quickly glanced a 72 Dodge Challenger in primo condition with a "for sale" sign on it in a closed down Texaco Station. I immediately yelled "pull over /stop the car". My dad said are you nuts? What is wrong? He pulled over and I said look at that car! Ended up we bought it for 3200 bucks with 24,000 miles on it. It had a 318 with a slapsick shifter and A/C.
I let it go after graduating from college in 1981. It was in a few accidents and was never the same after. Now married with 2 young adult children. I purchased another Challenger 3 years ago in Twin Falls Idaho. Its a driver and in good shape. All original and I have the build sheet. I just had the brakes done and am in the process of restoring her!

Great story and Great Car! Thanks for sharing. Your comment on the Corvette reminded me of when I was in the Navy in 1965. I thought I wanted a Corvette and was looking at a 58 (the only model I liked) at a dealership in Long Beach. The dealer talked me out of it. Said I had 5 strikes against me already. I asked what he meant. He said "You are under 25, unmarried, In the military and the insurance would be expensive". I said that was only 4. He said "You are in Orange County California and 1 of every 5 Corvettes get stolen every month". I bought a 60 Pontiac Ventura instead.

• I have a very similar story. I ordered my 1970 'Cuda 340 in an army PX in Vietnam,sometime in June of 69. I came home on Dec. 15,1969 and the car was delivered to my local Chrysler/ Plymouth dealer in Brooklyn, NY on Jan.30, 1970. The car has survived the streets of Brooklyn, until I moved to Long Island NY in 1976. In 1986 I moved to NJ, and just this past July, I moved to Florida. I have had this car for 48 years, and enjoyed every day of ownership.

A wonderful story and my best to your family. My young ladies just like to drive in the back and listen to the tires squeal But that makes Mamma a bit mad. I told her they can drive it in high school as I did if they wanna. NOT she says. Well see I got another 6yrs to work her down. I've been driving mine for 32yrs now but started working on it when my brother bought it at the age of 12 with his paperroute money $800 bucks well spent.

A wonderful story and my best to your family. My young ladies just like to drive in the back and listen to the tires squeal But that makes Mamma a bit mad. I told her they can drive it in high school as I did if they wanna. NOT she says. Well see I got another 6yrs to work her down. I've been driving mine for 32yrs now but started working on it when my brother bought it at the age of 12 with his paperroute money $800 bucks well spent.
That is a very nice yellow Cuda! Your brother made a very wise decision when he was 12.

• I have a very similar story. I ordered my 1970 'Cuda 340 in an army PX in Vietnam,sometime in June of 69. I came home on Dec. 15,1969 and the car was delivered to my local Chrysler/ Plymouth dealer in Brooklyn, NY on Jan.30, 1970. The car has survived the streets of Brooklyn, until I moved to Long Island NY in 1976. In 1986 I moved to NJ, and just this past July, I moved to Florida. I have had this car for 48 years, and enjoyed every day of ownership.
Hi, Raycuda. I'm glad you also came back home. Thanks for your service. Florida is a challenge when it comes to rust. Keep the car in the garage.

Thanks for sharing your great story. I bought my a 72 Challenger in 1975. My dad took me to a Chrysler dealership in San Jose on Steven's Creek Blvd. We checked out a few used Challengers. I knew I wanted a Challenger after seeing the movie Vanishing Point when it came out. My dad was a journeyman "body & fender man" and was working for Capital Ford in San Jose at the time. We looked at one brown metalic Challenger and he quickly noticed the quarter panel had been replaced (thus it had been in a wreck). We were driving on Steven's Creek after leaving the Chrysler dealership. I was bummed out since we did not find a Challenger. However I was looking out the passengers side window of our Plymouth Fury VIP when all of a sudden I quickly glanced a 72 Dodge Challenger in primo condition with a "for sale" sign on it in a closed down Texaco Station. I immediately yelled "pull over /stop the car". My dad said are you nuts? What is wrong? He pulled over and I said look at that car! Ended up we bought it for 3200 bucks with 24,000 miles on it. It had a 318 with a slapsick shifter and A/C.
I let it go after graduating from college in 1981. It was in a few accidents and was never the same after. Now married with 2 young adult children. I purchased another Challenger 3 years ago in Twin Falls Idaho. Its a driver and in good shape. All original and I have the build sheet. I just had the brakes done and am in the process of restoring her!
I'm just getting around to replying to comments. Sorry it took me so long. I'm glad you finally found your Challenger. It's really fun to drive, as I'm sure you've experienced. We get a lot of positive comments from car admirers. Your engine compartment looks great!

Fantastic story and glad to see you kept the Challenger and your significant other all those years.
It looks really great.
I have a Y1 top banana A-66 Challenger convertible, unfortunately I'm not the original owner but I have had my Challenger since 1979. I really appreciate you sharing a good story with us.
Hi, Paharamia. I'm finally reading reviews and replying. Sorry it took me so long. I wasn't thinking about convertibles when I bought my Challenger, but have regretted not getting one. The value of convertibles has really grown. Good luck with your restoration.

Item information

Category
Member Garages
Added by
SenseiYco
Views
Watchers
Comments
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 9 ratings

More in Member Garages