• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

12V ignition switched wire

davesb372

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought a Ready to Run electronic distributor for a '71 340 that I'm putting in my '72 Challenger, the car came with a 318 with points. What wire should I use that is switched by the ignition to power the coil. I attached their wiring diagram. Thanks for any help.

rtrwire.jpg

quapman

Reaction score
The blue wire that powers the choke thermostat is on with the key. Your 72 might not have a choke-t-stat, but the blue powers other things as well. I don't recall which terminal # it comes out of.

70Barracuda

Reaction score
On mine it's the blue w white stripe and brown is 12v cranking.

Heywodja

Reaction score
Does the blue wire also have 12 volts while cranking? Or do the blue one and brown one both need to be connected? Just so happens that I have the same situation installing a ready to run in my big block..

quapman

Reaction score
Blue should have power when cranking, yes. Never connect the blue and brown. (Kind of like "Don't take the brown acid.")

Heywodja

Reaction score
I think I verified that the blue one does not have power while cranking. The brown one was on opposite side of the resistor, and it went to the coil positive.
I cyphered that they were connected in a way, but the brown one just received the reduced voltage...

70Barracuda

Reaction score
Brown is 12v crank Blue is 12v key on. For Fitech EFI they both are put together.

Back