• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 318 4 speed factory challenger

George Glass

Reaction score
Many years ago I had come across a 70 challenger 318 4speed car that was supposed be original?
I have come across the car again recently. There was a bunch junk stacked on hood so I could not open hood to check fender tag.
My question is? Was a 4 speed a factory option on a 318 in 70?
Or was this a 3speed car that somebody put a 4 speed in?
If original how many were made like this?

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many years ago I had come across a 70 challenger 318 4speed car that was supposed be original?
I have come across the car again recently. There was a bunch junk stacked on hood so I could not open hood to check fender tag.
My question is? Was a 4 speed a factory option on a 318 in 70?
Or was this a 3speed car that somebody put a 4 speed in?
If original how many were made like this?
It really depends on what trim level. I see there's a A93 option, a standard model and a SE for 318 powered cars.

George Glass

Reaction score
Thanks for replies. I will get some pics next time I go there.
Same guy has a 70 383 4v commando barracuda conv (non cuda) flat hood with elastermeric bumpers.
Also a 68 belvedere 2dr post 383 2 barrel with 4speed and factory tach. All unusual ordered semi performance cars.
Decades ago I had a 71 challenger parts car that was 383 magnum non r/t flat hood plum crazy car.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I will get some pics next time I go there.
Same guy has a 70 383 4v commando barracuda conv (non cuda) flat hood with elastermeric bumpers.

Sounds like it's awesome! I'm always looking for information on 70 BH coded cars that have M46 on the fender tag or the build sheet. I've only got one Convertible on my M46 list of 26 cars. If you would, please snap a pic of the fender tag so we can decode it and take a look! Sounds awesome !!

Bobby Sixkiller

Reaction score
I know a fella that has a 318 4speed 70 with convertible top in plumb crazy. He’s had it a very long time. I’d say 40 years or so. I’m not 100 percent sure it’s number matching but it probably is knowing him.

Ele115

Reaction score
My brother's wife had a slant six Challenger convertible with nearly every option. He was going to drop a Hemi in it. Me and nearly everyone else talked him out of it. It was an astoundingly original and unique car.

Rons340

Reaction score
If you cannot get to the fender tag, you might try looking under the seats you should be able to get one of the build sheets from there that will tell you what the car started life with.

Back