• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 440 oil pan windage tray

retro70

Reaction score
I know that 440's came with a windage tray in between the engine and the oil pan.
My question is: if I don't race the car, does the engine need the windage tray when
replacing the oil pan gasket? What would happen if I do not replace the tray?

Thanks for the info in advance.

Dennis

SFEbody

Reaction score
Dennis,
IMO I would not run without one. They mauve multiple purpose I believe, 1- to keep as much oil into the sump pickup area at all times, the other is they keep the oil from being sucked in the crank area which I would believe restricts the amount of oil pumped upwards to the head area... but again just my opinion

Brian

DetMatt1

Reaction score
It also keeps oil from splashing up and causing resistance to the rotating assembly and introducing lots of air into the oil.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
T code 440's did not have them. They were standard in the HP 440's. My challenger has a '71 T code 440 from an Imperial with an HP camshaft and flat top pistons and I'm running it without a windage tray. I would prefer to have one, but I do not run mine hard, so it does just fine without.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I added one in my ‘67 Imperial as I had a couple of spares laying around when I had the engine out.

retro70

Reaction score
My reason for the question is because I can't seem to get them both to seal correctly. I have tried twice now and still I have an engine that leaks oil around the
front and back. Where did you get the gaskets from and what sealer do you use? I am trying to do this while the engine is in the car.
Does anyone have a great way to do this?

tonysrt

Reaction score
Here's a suggestion when installing gaskets and windage tray. Use string to tie the tray and gaskets together through the bolt holes of oil pan. Then install to the lower end and start several bolts. Keep them loose and when sure of position of all, cut the string and tighten the bolts.

retro70

Reaction score
Here's a suggestion when installing gaskets and windage tray. Use string to tie the tray and gaskets together through the bolt holes of oil pan. Then install to the lower end and start several bolts. Keep them loose and when sure of position of all, cut the string and tighten the bolts.
What ,if anything , do you use between the gaskets and the motor, tray, and pan as a sealer? I used right stuff last time but didn't seem to work.

moparlee

Reaction score
Make sure that all the metal surfaces are clean, the block, tray, and pan. Also make sure that the pan holes are flat and not dimpled. Put the pan on a known flat surface, the pan should not rock. The right stuff sealer you are using is one of the better ones. Finally, do not over torque the pan bolts.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I used, as does my engine builder, an extremely sticky Mopar black silicone in a short caulk tube.

retro70

Reaction score
I used, as does my engine builder, an extremely sticky Mopar black silicone in a short caulk tube.
Is this a product from Mopar and if so do you have the product name so I may get some and try it this time......hopefuuly the last time?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
@retro70
34413B97-37C5-43B3-BFF0-8A97B17E14EB.jpeg
1D2A8976-E093-4323-B584-3D49626BEB3D.jpeg

Back