• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger console automatic shifter

DY31970

Reaction score
Hi, Is the automatic console gear indicator supposed to light up?

tonysrt

Reaction score
If you have owners manual see if they list a bulb for it.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes , there is an orange wire under the carpet to the shifter , it will dim with the dash lights also

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Picture from the service manual. Edit: found better pics.

CnslWrng 1.jpg

CnslWrng 2.jpg

Last edited:

DY31970

Reaction score
Thanks tonysrt, Chryco Psycho. Thanks EW1BH27 for the service manual pictures. I'll check the light bulb and wiring.

Kez

Reaction score
Does anyone know a source for the tape used by the factory to tape wiring to the body - as shown in the picture above? It has some sort of paper backing - have seen it called electrical tape but it’s not the same as the vinyl electrical tape I know. Want to make sure I use the correct tape on my car - especially for the done light wires above the headliner. Thanks!!!

moparlee

Reaction score
Does anyone know a source for the tape used by the factory to tape wiring to the body - as shown in the picture above? It has some sort of paper backing - have seen it called electrical tape but it’s not the same as the vinyl electrical tape I know. Want to make sure I use the correct tape on my car - especially for the done light wires above the headliner. Thanks!!!
I used the 3M blue painters tape and rattle canned it with flat black before putting it on. Worked great and looked nearly exactly like the original stuff.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
2" x 60yd black masking tape on Amazon for under $10.

pschlosser

Reaction score
Gaffers Tape would be the way to go. Something like this from Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B07K1WW8WW
its a strong cloth tape, designed to NOT leave a sticky residue. Pretty nice stuff, used for taping wires to surfaces, and would be ideal in this application. It should hold up well to repeated heat caused by headers, for those afflicted.

That said, it's unclear how factory original this is, but I recommend this over a masking tape, painted or not.

Kez

Reaction score
Gaffers Tape would be the way to go. Something like this from Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B07K1WW8WW
its a strong cloth tape, designed to NOT leave a sticky residue. Pretty nice stuff, used for taping wires to surfaces, and would be ideal in this application. It should hold up well to repeated heat caused by headers, for those afflicted.

That said, it's unclear how factory original this is, but I recommend this over a masking tape, painted or not.
As I recall the tape I removed was paper backed - like masking tape. But masking tape would have medium duty adhesive. The Gaffers tape would probably be stronger and it will be hidden in most locations.

Back