• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 challenger Fender tag ?

scrambler1000

Reaction score
Hi All
I have a question about a fender tag. The tag list A62 but does not have N85 listed. All tags i have seen alway list both. Also the tag list N96 but the car was built November 7. From what i read they stop offering N96 shaker from Oct 11 thru April 14. My question is does the tag look legit? could it be a factory mistake and the N96 should be N85?
IMG951331.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Did you find a broadcast sheet? See the bend on the left side of tag. That's done on the assembly line.

Last edited:

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Here is the original tag. Note the N85 mandatory tachometer code is rusted away and the repro fender tag has replaced it with N96. N85 is part of the standard A62 - Rallye Instrument Cluster Group on Challenger R/T (JS) and always on the fender tag.
@autoxcuda provided details about this tag on another, well-known E-Body forum.

JS23V0B182621.jpg

Last edited:

RCodeCuda

Reaction score
Here is the original tag. Note the N85 mandatory tachometer code is rusted away and the repro fender tag has replaced it with N96. N85 is part of the standard A62 - Rallye Instrument Cluster Group on Challenger R/T (JS) and always on the fender tag.
@autoxcuda provided details about this tag on another, well-known E-Body forum.

View attachment 96479
Where can you get reproduction fender tags made? Thank you.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
The repro fender tag suppliers are dwindling.
Trim Tags in Illinois has ceased production of Mopar fender tags.
MMC Detroit will reproduce an accurate fender tag if you have documentation.
Tag My Classic will reproduce a fender tag based on what you request.

Forum members: Are they any other vendors, not listed above, that are still making fender tags?

And a side note, all of the reproduction fender tags can easily be identified as repro tags due to not-so-secret characteristics found on original tags.
I am not saying someone could not put in some effort to reproduce indistinguishable-from-original fender tags but I have not seen one that would fool Mopar experts.

More worrisome to me is the overseas supplier who is now reproducing the dash VIN plates that are the federally-mandated VIN by U.S. laws. That supplier has identifiable "problems" with his product but may get better at it as time passes.
If that company can pull off indistinguishable dash VIN plates, our hobby will be limited to original broadcast sheet and dealer sales documentation to prove what your car came with originally. Imagine proving a specific E-body came with an R-code Hemi versus a C-code 225 with only a suspect dash VIN plate for documentation and no known history of the car. I hope that never happens.

RCodeCuda

Reaction score
The repro fender tag suppliers are dwindling.
Trim Tags in Illinois has ceased production of Mopar fender tags.
MMC Detroit will reproduce an accurate fender tag if you have documentation.
Tag My Classic will reproduce a fender tag based on what you request.

Forum members: Are they any other vendors, not listed above, that are still making fender tags?

And a side note, all of the reproduction fender tags can easily be identified as repro tags due to not-so-secret characteristics found on original tags.
I am not saying someone could not put in some effort to reproduce indistinguishable-from-original fender tags but I have not seen one that would fool Mopar experts.

More worrisome to me is the overseas supplier who is now reproducing the dash VIN plates that are the federally-mandated VIN by U.S. laws. That supplier has identifiable "problems" with his product but may get better at it as time passes.
If that company can pull off indistinguishable dash VIN plates, our hobby will be limited to original broadcast sheet and dealer sales documentation to prove what your car came with originally. Imagine proving a specific E-body came with an R-code Hemi versus a C-code 225 with only a suspect dash VIN plate for documentation and no known history of the car. I hope that never happens.
MoparCarGuy—Thank you for your thorough response and expertise. Yes, I too am very afraid of “made in China” parts/services degrading our hobby...

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
MoparCarGuy—Thank you for your thorough response and expertise. Yes, I too am very afraid of “made in China” parts/services degrading our hobby...
The one I am concerned with is in Europe.

Katfish

Reaction score
Why worry about a VIN repo, how is someone supposed to forge the title to match?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
There is no need to forge a title. There are numerous states that will provide a bonded title for a car without a title. The VIN search to see if that VIN was stolen will come back clean as the created R-code or V-code VIN never existed. Once that title is in hand, the car is transferred to another state and the bonded title is no more.
This chicanery has been going on for decades in the collector car market. Buyer beware.

Back