• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger hood pins option

70SunFun

Reaction score
Hello, knowledgeable E Bodies Only folks. I have read a couple of articles that say a 1970 Challenger R/T model came standard with the power bulge (sport) hood AND hood pins. My question is did the hood pin kit come standard on the R/T sport hood or was it an option? I'm a factory-type guy and want to make my car accurate. Currently my Challenger sport hood does not have the hood pins (original hood was replaced somewhere along the line and the current sport hood does not have the pins). I'd like to put the hood pin kit on my car but only if it came from the factory with it. I don't have the broadcast sheet. I don't think the factory put a hood pin kit code on fender tags. Thanks!

MarksMopar1

Reaction score
Watching this ...as well...did the locking pin go in sideways or front to back? I see alot on sideways, but I have seen a factory install diagram that shows the pins go in front to back. (north-south not east west) any thoughts?

Attachments

• 70 Challenger Hood_Pins.pdf
    105.9 KB · Views: 337

70SunFun

Reaction score
Thanks for your post. The ChallengerSpecs.com site stated something like locating fore and aft, not across the hood. I would take that as the pins go in from the front (fore) and push through toward the back (aft) of the car, not pushing them in from the outside to the inside which fore and aft makes sense. Hope this helps. Here's where I got that info:

Dodge Challenger Specs - 1970 Challenger

Steve340

Reaction score
Has your car got the original radiator support panel. You could check that for the holes to mount the pins. The holes would be about 1/2 inch diameter.
I believe that I read somewhere that Shaker cars did get the pins when the Shaker hood was ordered. Not sure of the answer to your actual question but someone will definitely know the answer.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Challenger RT's had hood pins as an extra cost option. I've never seen any factory literature that show hood pins standard with the shaker hood. Also it looks like the factory promo cars were fore to aft. The hood pins bolt to the fenders; not the core support.
81-205-0050-2T.jpg
97.jpg
81-205-0050-2T.jpg
97.jpg
114.jpg

70SunFun

Reaction score
Has your car got the original radiator support panel. You could check that for the holes to mount the pins. The holes would be about 1/2 inch diameter.
I believe that I read somewhere that Shaker cars did get the pins when the Shaker hood was ordered. Not sure of the answer to your actual question but someone will definitely know the answer.
Thanks for that information, Steve340. I believe the core support is original but some characters are hard to make out due to heavier than normal repaint on the support. I'll check for those hole locations.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Challenger RT's had hood pins as an extra cost option. I've never seen any factory literature that show hood pins standard with the shaker hood. Also it looks like the factory promo cars were fore to aft. The hood pins bolt to the fenders; not the core support. View attachment 52533 View attachment 52534 View attachment 52533 View attachment 52534 View attachment 52536
Excellent information challenger6pak! Thank you very much for responding and for posting this.

/sixchall

Reaction score
I noticed after purchasing my ‘70 Challenger base model flat hood car, the drivers fender was drilled for both the factory hood pin and the hole for the lanyard screw. Just one side only. I have also seen a 318 ‘70 Challenger with flat hood with factory hood pins and lanyards in that flat hood.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Maybe some hung over assembly line worker on Monday morning started drilling got half way the realized his mistake and quickly stepped away, as for the other car the same worker earlier that morning didn't even realize what he did.

/sixchall

Reaction score
Hey there “Aussiemark” your probably right, LOL Seriously hate to think I had drunk workers putting my car together. Cheers, Al

Back