• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 challenger R/T se with a 383 2 bbl???

Cody Goode

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just finally bought my dream car. A 1970 challenger r/t se red with black and grey insert interior!!! I'm buying it as a project and I'm okay with that...its a numbers matching car but the fender tag is pretty rough but I can still see all the number match up on motor and drivetrain. My issue is that when I ran the vin it came up as a 383 2 bbl...everywhere I've looked online shows that the base r/t is a 383 4 bbl. I'm going to pick up the car in 2 weeks and I can confirm then by pulling the filter off but I was wondering if anyone knows of an r/t with a 2 bbl? I'm building the car for me and not to sell I actual was looking for this specific car because my dad had an se 383 4 bbl when he was my age and got rid of it for $500!!!! Oh boy the 80's...anyway i would love to keep the numbers matching engine in if it was a 4bbl or if I can built it to a close version. I can wait and know for sure in 2 weeks but I'm barely sleeping as it is waiting to drive 4 states away to pick it up. Also if it is possible what would be the best route in turning the "low" 383 into the magnum or 4 bbl...4 bbl carb and intake, cam,...???
Thanks sorry for the long read
IMG_9603.JPG

Cody

B5BLUERT

Reaction score
What exactly is the first 5 didgits of your Vin # ? Does your Vin start with JS23N ? A ‘70 RT/SE should be a 4 barrel carb .

Last edited:

Cody Goode

Reaction score
Yeah I just looked I think I've been duped. I never even looked at the JS since the model on the paperwork said challenger se and it has the small back window. just the L which stands for low 383 2 bbl...I feel like an idiot

B5BLUERT

Reaction score
Yes you could get an ‘70 SE with a 383 2 barrel carb , I wouldn’t let it bother you though, still a cool car for sure! Build it how you want too. Don’t feel like an idiot, I’ve been infatuated with these cars since about 1986 and feel like I know about everything about em and Some days I’m still learning.

Cody Goode

Reaction score
Yes you could get an ‘70 SE with a 383 2 barrel carb , I wouldn’t let it bother you though, still a cool car for sure! Build it how you want too. Don’t feel like an idiot, I’ve been infatuated with these cars since about 1986 and feel like I know about everything about em and Some days I’m still learning.
Well thanks for the positivity! I would still love to build it but as a special with a 2 bbl would it still have js in the vin and not jh

quapman

Reaction score
Of course you can tell 383 2bbl from 4bbl from the VIN. "L" is 383-2, "N" is 383-4.

No, there were no 2bbl JS cars ever made, except 318 Rallyes in 72.

Cody Goode

Reaction score
Of course you can tell 383 2bbl from 4bbl from the VIN. "L" is 383-2, "N" is 383-4.

Yeah I realized right after i posted...the excitement of the buy had me blinded and going off what the seller was saying..its a legit seller or atleast I thought it was and the price was too good to pass up. Like they say if it seems too good to be true it probably is...its still a 1970 challenger with a 383 matching numbers. And I dont mind doing an hp build on it. Just kind of crushed it's not a real r/t se...

B5BLUERT

Reaction score

You are correct! I’ll admit I was a few beers in when I stated that

340challconvert

Reaction score
First of all; Welcome to FEBO from New Jersey
Glad you joined the group.

A Challenger SE with a big block is still a cool car.

I would restore it as a stock SE Challenger; you could make some changes that improve the car or could be changed back if you wanted.
Add a stock 383 4bll intake and carb.
If you want a little kick, change the rear pumpkin to a sure grip unit w maybe 3:55 gears (probably 3:23's there now or higher w no sure grip- just guessing)
Like you and others suggested, you could also add the 383 HP cam shaft or a Mopar Performance cam to give it a little more power.
Again, I am thinking that this car has drum brakes in front; find a factory power disc brake set up and add better stopping power.
Big block Challengers, no matter the JH/JS designation still generally carry a higher collector price, even over the small block 340 cars.
You have the basis for a very nice car. Everybody lusts over the JS designation; you got the car at a good price - enjoy it and build it!
Just my thoughts!

Dino2 (1).gif

Cody Goode

Reaction score
First of all; Welcome to FEBO from New Jersey
Glad you joined the group.

A Challenger SE with a big block is still a cool car.

I would restore it as a stock SE Challenger; you could make some changes that improve the car or could be changed back if you wanted.
Add a stock 383 4bll intake and carb.
If you want a little kick, change the rear pumpkin to a sure grip unit w maybe 3:55 gears (probably 3:23's there now or higher w no sure grip- just guessing)
Like you and others suggested, you could also add the 383 HP cam shaft or a Mopar Performance cam to give it a little more power.
Again, I am thinking that this car has drum brakes in front; find a factory power disc brake set up and add better stopping power.
Big block Challengers, no matter the JH/JS designation still generally carry a higher collector price, even over the small block 340 cars.
You have the basis for a very nice car. Everybody lusts over the JS designation; you got the car at a good price - enjoy it and build it!
Just my thoughts!

View attachment 51507
Thanks I think I just needed to hear it from someone else!

quapman

Reaction score
Oh yes, definitely still a cool car worthy of a resto or driver or whatever your mind conjures up.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It will be a nice car. Oddly enough it had a higher sticker price than most RT's.

Cody Goode

Reaction score

susanrae

Reaction score
For an R/T SE car, the VIN would be JS29 not JS23. JS23 is for an R/T but the body code of 29 is for the SEs. If the next letter is L, then it is a 383-2. N would be a 383-4, commonly called Magnum. Both 383s were available for the R/T SE. My picture is of my 1970 JS23N Challenger. Good luck with your restoration and enjoy her as you cruise on down the road.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
For an R/T SE car, the VIN would be JS29 not JS23.

Both 383s were available for the R/T SE.

Your first statement is correct, R/T SE's are coded JS29

However, I must politely disagree with your second statement. The only 383 that came in an R/T SE was a 4-barrel. No 2-barrel 383's in an R/T or R/T SE.

You may possibly be confusing a regular SE with an R/T SE. They are not the same. The regular SE did have a 383-2 option, the R/T SE did NOT.

swisshemi

Reaction score
Hello together, my name is Markus. This is my first posting here. I'm from Switzerland and.... sorry for my English :)

Very important: have attention to the roof inside, which has a special cardboard shell and is covered with a felt. Not like the usual roof inside. Even the small window has its own surround with felt.
And attention to the roof consolette, rare part.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Hello together, my name is Markus. This is my first posting here. I'm from Switzerland and.... sorry for my English :)

Very important: have attention to the roof inside, which has a special cardboard shell and is covered with a felt. Not like the usual roof inside. Even the small window has its own surround with felt.
And attention to the roof consolette, rare part.
Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

340challconvert

Reaction score
Markus - swisshemi
Welcome to FEBO from New Jersey
Go to the Welcome section and introduce yourself.
Glad you joined. Any pictures of Mopars that you may own are always enjoyed by members.
You are correct in mentioning the felt roof on cardboard. It made the SE cars feel and look like a little "limo".

Dino2 (1).gif

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Markus - swisshemi
Welcome to FEBO from New Jersey
Go to the Welcome section and introduce yourself.
Glad you joined. Any pictures of Mopars that you may own are always enjoyed by members.
You are correct in mentioning the felt roof on cardboard. It made the SE cars feel and look like a little "limo".

View attachment 51646
Well except for all the rattles and cheap plastic...

Back