• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger standard steering wheel squeaking

70SunFun

Reaction score
Hi All! My 1970 Challenger R/T's standard steering wheel squeaks when I turn it more than 1/2 turn. I sprayed some WD40 under the collar (4 inches below the steering wheel) but it did not help. Looking for any suggestions, short of removing the steering wheel. Thanks!

davescuda

Reaction score
Does your turn signal have a wheel or a stud for the horn contact? If it has the stud its that it its the wheel need to be clean and lubed. Thats my guess

aussiemark

Reaction score
You will probably need to remove the wheel and crush can to check it properly but get a proper removal tool otherwise the top bearing may get damaged and while you are in there you can clean and lube your turn signal mechanism.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Does your turn signal have a wheel or a stud for the horn contact? If it has the stud its that it its the wheel need to be clean and lubed. Thats my guess
Not sure what you mean. The turn signal lever is a straight rod that goes into the steering column if that's what you mean? So you're saying I have to remove the steering wheel to clean/lube it? Thanks for the information.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I do have a steering wheel puller so I guess I'll have to remove it to clean and lube it.

aussiemark

Reaction score
The crush can has a master spline (a thicker spline in one spot) so you won't get the steering wheel position wrong just check where the master spline is and align it with the matching groove in the steering column shaft when you put it back on. The turn signal lever screws into the mechanism that holds it on and flicks it off when you straighten the wheel after a turn. It also has the earth contact for the horn it will be a small metal wheel or spring loaded button that rubs on the copper ring attached to the underside of the crush can this as davescuda suggested could be the source of the noise. Once you get it apart you will know what to clean and lube.

70SunFun

Reaction score
The crush can has a master spline (a thicker spline in one spot) so you won't get the steering wheel position wrong just check where the master spline is and align it with the matching groove in the steering column shaft when you put it back on. The turn signal lever screws into the mechanism that holds it on and flicks it off when you straighten the wheel after a turn. It also has the earth contact for the horn it will be a small metal wheel or spring loaded button that rubs on the copper ring attached to the underside of the crush can this as davescuda suggested could be the source of the noise. Once you get it apart you will know what to clean and lube.
Thanks for the in-depth information and I will pay attention to matching up the alignment during reassembly.

Back