• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A production information?

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm interested and wanted some basic production information on the 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A's. How many were actually produced? The production numbers seem to vary when looking this information up on google. Were 340 engines the only power plant installed in the T/A's or were 440's and Hemi's included? Rear ends, what differentials did the T/A's come with? 741,742, or 489? Any specific gear ratio? Did all T/A's come with a Sure Grip, clutch or cone? What were the rear brake shoe sizes? Was it 11x3, or 2.5x10? Were all T/A's automatic transmission or standards? Back in the day, when ordering a T/A form the dealership, what was standard equipment and what options were offered to the customer? Did Mopar offer any type of light weighting options for the T/A's or was this even thought of 51 years ago. Also for he T/A's did Mopar do some crazy production line switches/changes that other Mopar models seemed to have? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
What I know for sure is the 340 was to only engine option .
Being mid 70 production they had 489 / 8.75 diff , 3.55 was common but other ratios could be spcified & Sure grip was optional but would have been cone type .
You could order either Auto or Manual trans
Not all were built with fast ratio steering
The T/A pkg included the 340+6 , stripes , hood , spoilers 15" wheels E & G tire sizes , special springs & sway bars , 26" rad / HD cooling , side exit exhaust
Options were many - color , rear window louvers , fast ratio steering , column or floor shift auto bench or bucket seat in cloth or vinyl, all radio options , rear window defogger, ralley dash , wheel type [steel painted or Ralley]
AC was not available ,
All had disc brakes & I believe the rear was 11"
Other than the hood no other lightweight pkg was available .
I don't have exact poduction #s but someone will have a close # but around 2400 were built , Cuda AAR was more popular .

NoCar340

Reaction score
The T/A hood was available on other Challenger models in '70-'71 as option code N94, but it's extremely rare.
The fast-ratio steering box was the same ratio as regular boxes, but had revised internal stops. The quickened ratio was achieved with a longer pitman arm. The idler arm was the standard production part, giving the T/A and AAR the odd distinction of being one of very few production models to ever have a different turning radius between left and right.
Rear brakes were indeed 11", and were 2½" wide.
As is the case with most Chrysler products of the era, the majority of these cars were "sales bank" cars, meaning the "order" was placed by the factory itself, the car was built and placed in the sales bank, then shipped to any dealer looking for that particular model (or sometimes forced on them). Due to SCCA homologation rules, X number of cars had to be built, so customer orders or not, they were gettin' built.

floyd

Reaction score
Pretty sure only two rear end ratios available, 3:55 standard and optional 3:91. sure grip was standard with either ratio.

70chall440

Reaction score
As for the package (taken from a AAR sale brochure)
- TA/AAR 340 block and heads
- 340 6 pack intake
- HD "trans am" suspension that includes front and rear sway bar and "special" springs and shocks
- E60x15 front tires
- G60x15 rear tires
- side dual exhaust
- Ducktail rear spoiler
- eyebrow front spoiler
- fiberglass hood
- non-glare fender tops and grille
- TA side stripes
- front disc brakes
- sure grip differential
- rear mounted antenna

As for numbers (from Galens white book edition 5)
Total = 2400
4spd = 989
Auto = 1411
Sunroof = 1

Oh and I believe they were mid-year cars

Some "other" information (my opinion)
- some cars came with rallye instrument clusters, some didn't
- they were available in most if not the full color pallet
- I do not believe any were available with AC
- I "think" they could be had with or without PS
- all of the TAs I have seen had flip lock caps
- some has consoles
- I believe they could be had with any of the stereo options that any E body had
- there was some rumor that they had "special" fenders but I do not believe that to be true

NoCar340

Reaction score
- there was some rumor that they had "special" fenders but I do not believe that to be true
I believe they used the so-called "Hemi fender" which had the lip clearanced for larger 15" tires. There are actually "HEMI FENDER" data tags on other '70 models, but I've never seen one on a Trans Am car. The "TRANS AM" tag may have specified that fender to the line workers, among other things.
I don't think it was that specific of a fender; my thought is that it was used on any car with 15x7 wheels, which were supposed to be mandatory on Hemi-equipped models in 1970 (hence the name). I also believe the later-year fenders all had said lip clearance. By no means am I 100% sure on this, so don't take it as gospel.

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for taking time to answer my questions. With such low production numbers, these cars are indeed rare! Once in a while I may see on in a museum or car show. The owner never seems to be around to answer my questions? I appreciate this information.

Best Regards,

Tirekickertoo

Deadwood

Reaction score
As for the package (taken from a AAR sale brochure)
- TA/AAR 340 block and heads
- 340 6 pack intake
- HD "trans am" suspension that includes front and rear sway bar and "special" springs and shocks
- E60x15 front tires
- G60x15 rear tires
- side dual exhaust
- Ducktail rear spoiler
- eyebrow front spoiler
- fiberglass hood
- non-glare fender tops and grille
- TA side stripes
- front disc brakes
- sure grip differential
- rear mounted antenna

As for numbers (from Galens white book edition 5)
Total = 2400
4spd = 989
Auto = 1411
Sunroof = 1

Oh and I believe they were mid-year cars

Some "other" information (my opinion)
- some cars came with rallye instrument clusters, some didn't
- they were available in most if not the full color pallet
- I do not believe any were available with AC
- I "think" they could be had with or without PS
- all of the TAs I have seen had flip lock caps
- some has consoles
- I believe they could be had with any of the stereo options that any E body had
Hey bud, do you still have the manifold?

Back