• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970: Restore or Patina?

KVB

Reaction score
I knocked some dust off my sleeper.....the carb needs some TLC....the paint is 80's single stage. Eng/Trans/rear operate fine etc...car runs and drives fine. Original CA BH23GOE w/date coded and built 70 340 block/heads, 904, 8 3/4 sure-grip with a 4ish ratio. Original F8 green paint under all panels, tail panel and rad support #'s all match (no heavy hit).

Would one merely preserve this for what it is and keep it running as-is for heritage sakes (70-80's drag car?) - OR - go full on restoration into a different beast?

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Put some miles on it, drive it every day you can and you’ll figure it out. If you like the patina then keep it that way but it doesn’t make it more valuable then as if it were freshly restored. It has survived but it’s no survivor.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Take no offense to my opinion. Patina is a word that is loosely thrown around to up sale something. Meaning their to lazy to clean or fix something unearthed and has earned a badge of honor of battle scares./// I myself decades ago decided to preserve what I had left before it degraded beyond repair and I went to far! In the act of preservation I rolled right into restoration. SO that being said Drive the tires off it and list what you want to fix.Put a time limit to it. Enjoy put more Patina on it!

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
:welcome: to FEBO
Glad you signed up
I would drive your car awhile and think about what direction you would like to go.:thumbsup:
Looking forward to watching your progress

SFEbody

Reaction score
I would also drive it. BUT FIRST, stop the gas leak at the carb....or the patina will turn to flame thrower instantly on the first drive

KVB

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I've actually been a member here before, but had to create a new account - for some reason my original was deleted.....been a lurker and have posted a few things over the past 15 or so years.

I purchased the car back in 2009 when I was stationed in CA. Used to drive it once a week or so and it's been reliable (although it hates re-starting in 105* temps). I've since moved to SC and the car has been sitting since 2015 (though I drive a couple times a year just to keep things moving).

My thoughts on Patina or "battle wounds" derived from the fact that you can't find hardly any cars out there still intact. Plenty have been restored with aftermarket metal etc...but in - let's say another 20-30 years from now - when you literally won't even be able to find a rotted shell anymore, folks may find it more appealing from a historic point of view and not a restored perspective???? Like how many original panel cars are out there with original paint (though under newer paint)...... IDK, it's just my crazy theory.

Thanks for responses....I'm always wondering what to do with this car, lol

Last edited:

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I've actually been a member here before, but had to create a new account - for some reason my original was deleted. I've actually been a lurker and have posted a few things over the past 15 or so years.

I purchased the car back in 2009 when I was stationed in CA. I used to drive it once a week or so and it's been reliable (although it hates re-starting in 105* temps). I've since moved to SC and the car has been sitting since 2015 (though I drive a couple times a year just to keep things moving).

My thoughts on Patina or "battle wounds" derived from the fact that you can't find hardly any cars out there still intact. Plenty have been restored with aftermarket metal etc...but in - let's say another 20-30 years from now - when you literally won't even be able to find a rotted shell anymore, folks may find it more appealing from a historic point of view and not a restored perspective???? Like how many original panel cars are out there with original paint (though under newer paint)...... IDK, it's just my crazy theory.

Thanks for responses....I'm always wondering what to do with this car, lol
Patina is great. I'd say from a quick look, the missing paint areas are not considered patina, and are need of repair - rust never sleeps. Most people (IMO) would rather have a nice paint job. And like SFEbody said, fix the carb. And then start using ethanal free gas. - from someone that was stationed in SC and moved to CA. Cheers!

R4Sedan

Reaction score
I would get everything dialed in good. I like the Car, just not the Camaro stripes. You could always paint it. You don't have to put a 10-12K paint job on it. Just my .02

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I would get everything dialed in good. I like the Car, just not the Camaro stripes. You could always paint it. You don't have to put a 10-12K paint job on it. Just my .02
I didn't want to say that! But now it's out there.I would start sanding to find the original paint. Cudamaro

Last edited:

KVB

Reaction score

Yes, as if they didn't already look like a Camaro, the previous owner was trying to trick people me thinks, or he wanted a Camaro in real life, but ended up with a mopar....poor him : ). but yeah, I hate the stripes also.

It's starting to get hard to find anyone who do any kind of paint job for much less!

Agree, my thoughts on this are do most of the leg work one's self, and then bring a clean prepped car to a shop that carries a good paint product line and go from there..... Shops are gouging if they are charging $10-12K for just a paint job.

Rons340

Reaction score
If you just purchased the car I would continue do some good research on it and find out just what you have. Not just the condition, but by the numbers as you have started. Research the VIN, fender tag, and try to locate the build sheet inside the car. You might have a car that is heavily optioned with some rare features and would justify a full restoration, or it may be a lower optioned car that you want for a daily driver. Researching the car throughly and knowing what you want is the first place that I would start. Either way it's a great looking car and well worth the love!

'70 models are getting harder to find so I would protect my investment, whatever that looks like. :)

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I can see the back panel is blacked out. But there does not appear to be any M88 rear trim. Perhaps the black out was done with the blue paint job.

I agree with researching what it is. The fender tag details will give you a little better idea of what you should do with the paint.
For instance, if the car is originally an M46 car that came with the blacked out tail panel the car would be worth putting the rare paint and stripe option back on the car. There are plenty of rare paint and stripe options that were available in 70.

Can you post the fender tag picture please?

KVB

Reaction score
If you just purchased the car I would continue do some good research on it and find out just what you have. Not just the condition, but by the numbers as you have started. Research the VIN, fender tag, and try to locate the build sheet inside the car. You might have a car that is heavily optioned with some rare features and would justify a full restoration, or it may be a lower optioned car that you want for a daily driver. Researching the car throughly and knowing what you want is the first place that I would start. Either way it's a great looking car and well worth the love!

'70 models are getting harder to find so I would protect my investment, whatever that looks like. :)

I've had the car since 2009ish.....But work, moving, life etc...got in the way doing much with it. I think I put about 1000 miles on it total when I had it on the road and did little else to it. It has been a fun journey while learning about the "cult" following of E bodies and all that entails about these cars : )

I can see the back panel is blacked out. But there does not appear to be any M88 rear trim. Perhaps the black out was done with the blue paint job.

I agree with researching what it is. The fender tag details will give you a little better idea of what you should do with the paint.
For instance, if the car is originally an M46 car that came with the blacked out tail panel the car would be worth putting the rare paint and stripe option back on the car. There are plenty of rare paint and stripe options that were available in 70.

Can you post the fender tag picture please?

Unfortunately no tag, or broadcast sheet. I'm 90% sure the tail panel was blacked out with the blue chevy paint job...I'll have to flake a little paint off and see (this sounds bad, but the blue paint is flaking off in tons of spots so what's another little one : )

Last edited:

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I say drive it as is. Patina always has it's appeal as well. Hell, my Roached Runner gets more attention because it is such a p.o.s. Especially, when it beats cars worth way more and 10 times nicer.

Attachments

• 20210530_123448.jpg
    20210530_123448.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
  • 20210530_123505.jpg
    20210530_123505.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 169
Back