• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 WSS Dodge Challenger 340 plum crazy slap stick auto

wss340challenger

Reaction score
Hello everyone ,I just purchased this project ,numbers matching engine and transmission are out of it but in my possession .
I plan on building a 408 out of a 360 I have and saving the 340 . I just want to get it running so I can drive it while I tackle one section at a time .I will post pics as I move along....Good luck with your project ....any body ever see that small piece of aluminum attached to the tag?? challenger plate.jpg

challenger plate.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would put the car back to 100% original. Anytime you have a car that is possibly under 10 built with a high performance engine, it is best to restore it.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Agreed, don't do any mods that can't be undone. The extra piece of metal under the tag could be the one the inspectors would leave their mark on as it went down the line, Sometimes it stayed with the car. Tell us how the car. Ame to you.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Purple with black top, stripe and interior, nice combo already then add the belt and sill moldings and the sport hood and you're riding in fine style! You should check for a build sheet. I'd be interested to see if this car was special ordered or not and one more thing, how about a pic of the car???

wss340challenger

Reaction score
hello , unfortunately a friend had to sell it because of financial reasons ,he purchased it about 10 years ago complete but not running ,apparently it was found at a local repair shop where it sat for many years ,my friend disassembled the drive train and did some minor rust repair around the front windshield .He didn't do much else but luckily he saved all the parts . YES I do have the build sheet ! 2 of them ....identical --one behind the rear seat and one behind the right rear plastic panel

dongei

Reaction score
I know what you are talking about, I have one on my plate also.Don't know what it's for though. Mine was built in California, maybe that has something to do with it.

quapman

Reaction score
ALL Mopars had the aluminum tag under the steel fender tag. It was basically a checklist and started out much longer. As the cars went down the line, inspectors snipped off their part of the tag until it was just a nub. The process changed in 74, so you'll see mile long tags on those cars.

Galen says there were NO 340 WSS Challengers. Hahahahahahaha! My 340 WSS was also a Hamtramck car, but mine was Go Mango.

I agree with the "restore it properly" sentiment. Either that or sell it for big $$ and build the dream car you want.

reborn73

Reaction score
That piece of aluminum may be all that is left of a seperate tag that was attached and punched as it went down the line. Mine still has that piece. It is about an inch wide and about six to seven inches long.
Sorry if the pic is too big........
black vin.jpg

black vin.jpg

72chally440

Reaction score
In my limited knowledge, it seems like you have a nice rare car. Keep us posted. I agree; restore it to original or sell it and buy something you can customize.

I copied this from someones post for a car being sold on another site so the accuracy is questionable:
"1970 dodge challenger western sport special for sale. just a little info on these there were just over 1000 of the ever made. and 99.9999% were made at the LA assembly plant. thats what makes this car even more rare. it was made at the Hamtramck, MI plant. this car is 1 of 6 know western sport specials made at the dodge main plant. i have all the documentation out of the car (build sheet, fender tag, etc.)"

Here is Your Tag Decoded:
JH23:
Dodge Challenger
High
2 Door Hardtop
H0B: 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
359719: Sequence number
E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
FC7: Plum Crazy Metallic Exterior Color
H6X9: Trim - High, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
000: Full Door Panels
603: Build Date: June 03
157593: Order number
V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black
A63: 70 only Challenger Moulding Group
A66: 70 only Challenger 340 Performance Package
A91: 70 only Western Sport Special
C15: 70 only Deluxe Seat Belts
C55: Bucket Seats
G34: OS LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
J54: Sport Hood
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
N41: Dual Exhaust
N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
N52: Unknown
V9X: Bumble Bee Stripes, Black
Y05: Build to USA Specs
26: 26in Radiator
EN1: End of Sales Codes

Last edited:

ECS

Reaction score
....any body ever see that small piece of aluminum attached to the tag??View attachment 21786

Many cars had that strip attached under the Fender Tag. As a vehicle went down the Assembly Line, each station would tear off part of it as they performed the build option listed on the metal strip. That little remnant actually started out being about 7-8" long before sections started being torn off & removed.

wss340challenger

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info ...i will be sending all my info to Galen to let him know there are some of these cars out here
I began to strip the engine compartment ,getting it ready for paint .who restores wiper motors for a reasonable price?

wss340challenger

Reaction score
well starting the mini tear down ,going to strip the engine compartment ,paint it and get the engine work started ( I am a professional engine machinist and assembler - only 30 years experience so far ) , luckily the transmission had already been rebuilt and is waiting in a plastic bag for installation heater.jpghorns.jpgwiper motor.jpg

heater.jpg

horns.jpg

wiper motor.jpg

Back