• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 Challenger 340 RT

440six

Reaction score
This was my first car that I bought when I turned 16 in 1979. I drove it a couple years through out high school then parked it. I ended up giving it away in 1981 to a friends older brother who wanted something to play around with in his spare time. It sat behind his house with a tarp covering it for 26 years.
In April 2007 I met my high school buddy and was informed the car was sitting untouched, his brother never did get around restoring it. I phoned him and asked if he would sell the car back to me, which he did for the same price as he paid for it $0.00.

Picture from 1979

71Challenger340RT.jpg

When I first saw it after 26 years. Took me back to a simplier time

DSCN2064.jpg

Orginal motor looking tired, but all there. Even the M/T valve covers which was the first thing I did to the car. The originals were even still at my dads farm.

DSCN2062.jpg

I decided to do a complete rotissorie restoration on it. I have a friend who's a mopar guru.

DSCN0066.jpg

In November 07 we had it ready for the major body work that would be needed to get it right.

DSCN0034.jpg

I took it to a respected bodyman who works only on mopars. He's got 4 mopars on the go.

71RTChallenger1.jpg

He's replaced pretty much everything from cross members to frame rails on the car. Anything that we thought was not 100% we changed.

DSCN2557.jpg

The body work should be done in a couple months, most of the power train has been restored.

DSCN0131.jpg

The motor has been rebuilt, waiting for the carb to come back then on the dyno

71340.jpg

It has a green houndstooth cloth interior. Legendary had a roll of original chrysler material.

DSCN0102.jpg

The Dash was done by Justdashes, turned out really nice.

DSCN2515.jpg

The Grille & rear tail panel are all redone ready to go back on the car. I'm taking lots of pictures as the resto moves ahead. Hopefully it will be done by the summer of 09.

Last edited:

JH23J0B

Reaction score
SWEET

That's a great story. Looks like you had a good car to start with so it should turn out nice. Hate to be picky but, those little tiny 6" tires are going to make it handle like a manure spreader. I don't care for the 17" and 20" BLING BLING wheels that everyone think looks so good on older cars but, you've gone too far the other way.:D J/K. Keep us up to date on it. Bet you can't wait to drive it again. It's nice when a guy still has, or gets back a car from way back when. Congrats!

440six

Reaction score
Front Buckets finished

DSCN2600.jpg

Rear Frame rails installed
P1000573.jpg

Floor Pans installed
P1010203.jpg

New Torsion Bar Crossmember installed
DSCN2578.jpg

JH23J0B

Reaction score
Good progress

More progress, looks good. You'll be done in no time. Just a couple more hours a a couple more dollars. When do you think it will be finished? Keep the pictures coming.

440six

Reaction score
727 Torqueflite restored
DSCN0953.jpg

Grille & Tail panel done

DSCN2597.jpg

Last edited:

440six

Reaction score
Carb & Wiper motor

Just got my carb and wiper motor back, turned out really nice.

DSCN1276.jpg

DSCN2719.jpg

L

lail1985

Seat covers look great. Thanks for posting photos.
Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd.

Back