• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 Challenger V7W stripe specifications

ZippyZoo

Reaction score
After almost 50 years of ownership, I finally decoded the VIN tag of my 1971 Challenger. I identified the V7W "Accent Stripes, White" (painted dual pin-stripes) which run along the top of the body from the front fender and end diagonally at the rear quarter where the top meets the quarter panel. I seem to remember the stripes left a small gap on both sides rear view mirror gasket.
Anyway, the original stripes are long gone. With the car under restoration, I would like to properly duplicate the original V7W paint stripes.
Does anyone have detail documentation of the stripes: location, widths, etc.? I found some references to "engineering drawings" on other forums, but the web links did not work. (I did find an engineering drawing of the 1970 V7W stripes which are completely different.)
Alternatively, I am considering the more popular 1971 non-RT wide side stripe set - painted on, not vinyl. Are there any drawings or templates available for painting those stripes?
Below are some poor pictures showing the original stripes. I am impressed with the wealth of knowledge and support of this forum. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
V7W a.jpg
V7W c.jpg
V7W d.jpg
FENDER TAG.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Nice convertible!
Here is a pic that Barry Washington posted years ago; pic shows the factory V7 pin stripe. I also found a pic posted on a Challenger in Indiana from 2006 with the same factory stripe; second pic looks like your car.
Barry's notes;
"In 1971 the vinyl stripes with or without the R/T lettering were V6_ stripes.
The V7_ stripes were painted on pin stripes. The W at the end means white."

Curious why you are looking to potentially paint on the 71 side stripe rather then using a factory style vinyl stripe?

4730_1_71_v7x.jpg

4732_1_dodge%20days%20at%20circle.jpg

Last edited:

ZippyZoo

Reaction score
You guys are the BEST!!
Floyd: thank you for the drawing. I saw your previous post regarding these stripes on another forum, (what did you decide on your black Challenger?) but the link there is no longer valid. Thanks, again.
340challconvert: why paint and not vinyl? The restoration shop I'm using for the body work does a great job painting stripes and accents so they're protected under the clear coat. The paint ridge between body color and stripe is almost imperceptible. That is primarily why I am interested in the paint route.

floyd

Reaction score
Zippy - Adding the pin stripes is still on the to-do list but I’ll get to it eventually.

As for the vinyl vs. paint on the other style, not that you asked, but I’d go with vinyl. It’s how they were done originally and more importantly, can be undone much easier if you change your mind down the road. As always, it owner’s preference so enjoy it how you want. Great looking car!

michael bucklew

Reaction score
After almost 50 years of ownership, I finally decoded the VIN tag of my 1971 Challenger. I identified the V7W "Accent Stripes, White" (painted dual pin-stripes) which run along the top of the body from the front fender and end diagonally at the rear quarter where the top meets the quarter panel. I seem to remember the stripes left a small gap on both sides rear view mirror gasket.
Anyway, the original stripes are long gone. With the car under restoration, I would like to properly duplicate the original V7W paint stripes.
Does anyone have detail documentation of the stripes: location, widths, etc.? I found some references to "engineering drawings" on other forums, but the web links did not work. (I did find an engineering drawing of the 1970 V7W stripes which are completely different.)
Alternatively, I am considering the more popular 1971 non-RT wide side stripe set - painted on, not vinyl. Are there any drawings or templates available for painting those stripes?
Below are some poor pictures showing the original stripes. I am impressed with the wealth of knowledge and support of this forum. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.View attachment 75476 View attachment 75477 View attachment 75478 View attachment 75479

michael bucklew

Reaction score
my '71 had the same stripes--just checked fender tag--yep its there--thought it was a dealer add on.. defiantly would like to redo those stripes--i also have distant photo but no close ups....do not who to call or ask...maybe Graveyard Cars could help.

Back