• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 Cuda 383 roller cam or flat tappet

1966gbeau

Reaction score
Ok here goes I have my engine in the machine shop right now and am coming to the part about what cam to buy .Now I know you have to know more about the engine I have and what I expect out of it . So here goes, it is the numbers matching engi e to the car a 383 and it had a few problems getting to where it's at now . It had a crack in one cylinder and rust pits in the others so we had to sleeve the block to keep the numbers correct. I want the out side to look stock but have the inside fixed up . We are planning to put a stroker crank h beam rods and foraged pistons . Now I have questions about putting a roller cam in over a flat tapped cam will the roller be as reliable as a flat tapped, what I want to know is will it be a good choice for a street motor . I have heard different opinions on the subject and would like to hear from other people who have tried it . Any advice is appreciated .

Adam

Reaction score
There are pros and cons to each. A flat tappet is cheaper, wide range of options, and very reliable. But you will need to choose an oil that is designed for it, or use an additive.

Roller has less friction, and regular oil is fine. Reliability is probably fine as long as you use quality parts; not Chinese, their stuff looks good, but the metallurgy can be subpar (ever use Chinese drillbits?) The roller cost more and you will also need other pushrods for it, adding to the cost.

BcudaChris

Reaction score
Also, for your cost considerations, you are restricted to below .500" lift on the cam lift, unless you get adjustable rockers.

Note, that is the small block rule of thumb on lift, and I believe it goes for big blocks as well, but do confirm.

Adam

Reaction score
I guess that depends on the adjustable rocker lock nuts and lift. You can always dry fit a stock cover, with gasket(s) to verify... although, cast covers are more rigid, and do not deform around the bolt holes like the sheet metal does; less prone to leak, IMO...

budascuda

Reaction score
If you like to "punch it" I would say the flat tappets are more reliable.

BcudaChris

Reaction score
Since they are shaft mount, I don't think you'll have the lock nut problem with a street engine. There are ones available that will fit under the stock rocker cover. Your engine assembler will need to spend time making sure they are correctly shimmed for a proper wipe pattern throughout the whole range of travel.

Back