• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 DODGE CHALLENGER R/T 426 HEMI SHAKER CONVERTIBLE ?!?!?!?!

BluRaySRT

Reaction score
This car is up for sale (again) at a much lower price. It has quite a history. Could it possibly be true? I'm thinking that some of you guys have heard about this vehicle and might know the 'real' story. How does one determine the authenticity of the paperwork and the car itself. This car has been sold and resold at least four times in the last 15 years.

Here is a description of the history....

426 Hemi R/T Challenger Shaker Convertible 1971

RARE RARE ONE-OF-A-KIND
May Be ONLY ONE Known to EXIST

This very special 1971 Hemi Challenger Convertible with a scheduled production date of Wednesday, May 26, 1971, left the assembly plant in Hamtramck, MI with a 383 Four-Barrel Engine. At its time of purchase from Claude R Short Dodge, Inc. in Santa Monica, CA, the original purchaser ordered a FACTORY 426 HEMI ENGINE through the dealership from Chrysler Corporation and it was installed by Claude R Short Dodge, Inc. before taking delivery of the vehicle. An Addendum to the original Dodge window sticker for the 426 Hemi Engine was authorized by Chrysler Corporation and added by the dealership.

The original window sticker and the original addendum along with a copy of the original broadcast sheet comes with the car.

This 1971 Hemi Challenger Convertible had a complete rotisserie restoration in 2003 and has been stored in a climate-controlled facility since its restoration. Also included in this vehicle's portfolio are restoration receipts from 2003 as well as original 1971 dealership advertisements and operator's manual, wiring diagram manual, "Illustrated Facts and Features Manual" and an original 1971 Dodge "Scat Pack" brochure featuring the wild tubes exhaust headers.

Included as well are Chrysler Corporation warranties and exclusions for the 426 cu in "maximum performance" Hemi engine, tire warranties, engine starting instructions tag, other informational tags pertaining to the 426 engine, fender tag decoding lists, letter from Galen V Govier stating that the 1971 383-4BBL DODGE Challenger Convertible VIN JH27N1B405248 is now in the Chrysler Registry and is number 29 of only 31 built in sequence of 1971 383-4BBL DODGE Challenger Convertible's registered, that sold new in the USA. This is truly an exceptional representation of the Classic-Muscle Car of its day!

This 1971 Hemi Challenger R/T 4-Speed Convertible was decoded and certified by Galen V Govier on January 30, 2003 and is in the Chrysler Registry!

This beautiful Hemi Challenger presents a rare opportunity to be included in anyone's special and unique collection!

IMG_3144 (1).jpg

IMG_3146 (1).jpg

IMG_3147 (1).jpg

IMG_3148 (1).jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

NoCar340

Reaction score
To quote Dave Mustaine, "Nice story, tell it to Reader's Digest!" 😄

They can invent all the backstory they want, but the car's not even an R/T, much less a Hemi car: JH27. The "dealer's label" addendum could be created with a laser printer and typewriter; I'd much rather see the waiver where the customer agreed to sign away his new-car warranty.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Simply put; there were no factory 1971 RT Challenger convertibles built in 1971. If the buyer paid the dealer to create the car, it still is not factory.
BUT; Would it compare to a Baldwin Motion Chevy modification where they put 427's into a Nova or Mr. Norm's Mopar modifications? Are those factory?
Those early restomods do sell for big $$$

70chall440

Reaction score
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Also, if it was what they say it is it would not be "offered at a lower price".. It might be a nice car but the story sounds fishy. I "suppose" its possible that Chrysler had a 1966 426 Hemi block but I'd think it would be at least a 70 model block but I could be wrong.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
There’s a couple of things that can be said for sure, it’s not an R/T & it’s not numbers matching.
I have a numbers matching JH27N with an automatic and if it were in the same condition it might be worth 75k, maybe 85k with a manual trans? Loose the original engine and trans and the value takes a hit but add the vintage Hemi and I’d say you recover the hit and add some value. Logic tells me it’s a 100k to 125k dollar car.

BluRaySRT

Reaction score
There’s a couple of things that can be said for sure, it’s not an R/T & it’s not numbers matching.
I have a numbers matching JH27N with an automatic and if it were in the same condition it might be worth 75k, maybe 85k with a manual trans? Loose the original engine and trans and the value takes a hit but add the vintage Hemi and I’d say you recover the hit and add some value. Logic tells me it’s a 100k to 125k dollar car.
Thanks for your reply! Very helpful! Is there anything mechanically significant about it not being an R/T? I realize that it might impact value, but I thought that it can be optioned back to a virtual R/T. This one has the rally gauge display for example. It is a 4 speed with a period correct hemi. Last owner invested a bit... put factory correct mopar hemi headers on... four wheel disc brakes. I can get it for $85k. It seems worth a look by me and an inspection company... agree? My other option is a '71 hemi cuda but it is $125k.. with a crate motor.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Very helpful! Is there anything mechanically significant about it not being an R/T? I realize that it might impact value, but I thought that it can be optioned back to a virtual R/T. This one has the rally gauge display for example. It is a 4 speed with a period correct hemi. Last owner invested a bit... put factory correct mopar hemi headers on... four wheel disc brakes. I can get it for $85k. It seems worth a look by me and an inspection company... agree? My other option is a '71 hemi cuda but it is $125k.. with a crate motor.
There’s really no difference between a JH27N1 and a JS23N1 except the 27 is a convertible.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I would think that if you can get the convertible hemi Challenger for $85k, that is a good deal!
You cannot build that car for that money. In that price range, you are taking must less financial risk. It will always have residual value so long as the title matches the body serial numbers,
I tend to love the e body verts. JMO

BluRaySRT

Reaction score
I would think that if you can get the convertible hemi Challenger for $85k, that is a good deal!
You cannot build that car for that money. In that price range, you are taking must less financial risk. It will always have residual value so long as the title matches the body serial numbers,
I tend to love the e body verts. JMO
Thanks! That is what I am thinking. I'm not buying the story.. I'm buying the car in it's present condition. I have the car under agreement with an inspection and visit scheduled for next week. Here it is... if you see anything else.. please let me know!

BluRaySRT

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments!!! I have the car under agreement with an inspection and visit scheduled for next week. Here it is... if you see anything else.. or have any other suggestions... please let me know! This is a big deal for me.

BluRaySRT

Reaction score
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Also, if it was what they say it is it would not be "offered at a lower price".. It might be a nice car but the story sounds fishy. I "suppose" its possible that Chrysler had a 1966 426 Hemi block but I'd think it would be at least a 70 model block but I could be wrong.
Thanks for your comments!!! Yes.. I was too good to be true! So now I think they car's price has returned to a more reasonable place. I have the car under agreement with an inspection and visit scheduled for next week. Here it is... if you see anything else.. or have any other suggestions... please let me know! This is a big deal for me.

340challconvert

Reaction score
It does look like the brakes and suspension were upgraded. The 4 wheel disc brakes are a plus.
A hemi would have had one step up on the suspension; bigger torsion bars, higher rated (additional) leaf springs in the rear. A hemi would also get the super trac pak dana rear end.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Even at $210,000 off "sticker", I'd still expect a clutch inspection cover. Also, "factory correct Hemi headers" don't exist. Even the Super Stock cars had manifolds.

While I don't expect you're going drag racing, it's worth noting that the car does not have the Dana 60 Chrysler would've installed, nor would I expect to find an 18-spline input on the transmission, Hemi torsion bars, XHD springs, etc. None of these parts are called out on the "extra parts" slip.

A few things that bother me about this whole story:
  • It was an ordered car. Why would one special-order a car, then purchase a bunch of parts to be installed upon delivery?
  • Why spend the extra $500 in labor when it could've been done on the assembly line for free?
  • Orders take long enough. I'd want my ordered car the day it comes off the truck, or the next.
  • Why would one forego any sort of factory warranty on a brand-new car?
  • Parts are cheaper on the window sticker than they are through the parts department--even at cost. Yet somehow this dealer charged only window-sticker prices for all these parts. An entire shaker setup for almost half the cost of a pair of headers?
  • The dealer using option codes instead of part numbers is extremely suspect. There are how many parts in a Shaker setup? You couldn't just call Chrysler and say "I would like to order N96 for a Challenger." Just for inventory and bookkeeping's sake, part numbers almost certainly would've been itemized.
To me, this is a built car for which someone tried to invent provenance. If you're buying the car and not the story, that's great. Buy and enjoy your clone--I know I would. I think you could be getting a good car based on that, but before I drop that kind of change that car's going on a hoist and I'm spending a few hours on it. Demand a clutch cover, and ask why the driveshaft hits the exhaust while it's on a hoist. Bring a factory body manual with you and measure everything per that manual's specs.

If you buy this car I hope the story dies at your hands at the time of purchase. It won't be any less suspect in 10 years--only harder to verify. If you start tootin' this "dealer installed" horn come sale time, expect exactly what you're seeing now. It might be a great car to buy and enjoy, but it's not a good investment. There's little room for return.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Even at $210,000 off "sticker", I'd still expect a clutch inspection cover. Also, "factory correct Hemi headers" don't exist. Even the Super Stock cars had manifolds.

While I don't expect you're going drag racing, it's worth noting that the car does not have the Dana 60 Chrysler would've installed, nor would I expect to find an 18-spline input on the transmission, Hemi torsion bars, XHD springs, etc. None of these parts are called out on the "extra parts" slip.

A few things that bother me about this whole story:
  • It was an ordered car. Why would one special-order a car, then purchase a bunch of parts to be installed upon delivery?
  • Why spend the extra $500 in labor when it could've been done on the assembly line for free?
    Orders take long enough. I'd want my ordered car the day it comes off the truck, or the next.
  • Why would one forego any sort of factory warranty on a brand-new car?
  • Parts are cheaper on the window sticker than they are through the parts department--even at cost. Yet somehow this dealer charged only window-sticker prices for all these parts. An entire shaker setup for almost half the cost of a pair of headers?
  • The dealer using option codes instead of part numbers is extremely suspect. There are how many parts in a Shaker setup? You couldn't just call Chrysler and say "I would like to order N96 for a Challenger." Just for inventory and bookkeeping's sake, part numbers almost certainly would've been itemized.
To me, this is a built car for which someone tried to invent provenance. If you're buying the car and not the story, that's great. Buy and enjoy your clone--I know I would. I think you could be getting a good car based on that, but before I drop that kind of change that car's going on a hoist and I'm spending a few hours on it. Demand a clutch cover, and ask why the driveshaft hits the exhaust while it's on a hoist. Bring a factory body manual with you and measure everything per that manual's specs.

If you buy this car I hope the story dies at your hands at the time of purchase. It won't be any less suspect in 10 years--only harder to verify. If you start tootin' this "dealer installed" horn come sale time, expect exactly what you're seeing now. It might be a great car to buy and enjoy, but it's not a good investment. There's little room for return.
383 4 bbl was the top engine available in a ‘71 Challenger convertible.

NoCar340

Reaction score
383 4 bbl was the top engine available in a ‘71 Challenger convertible.

Fair enough. That covers the engine and the aftermarket headers, but doesn't change the fact that all the other options were available and, barring possibly the Hemi, screeching loudly enough could get you almost anything on the option sheet that was "not available" on your model. We've seen it time and again over the years; the magazines love to show us that stuff. Claude Short Dodge had been in business for 50+ years by the time this car was built; it's reasonable to assume someone working there knew their way around this process. Why wait around to get a hood and valance painted, and those and a bunch of other common assembly-line miscellany installed?

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm simply saying that the dealer lost their butt on the parts other than the headers, the parts itemization is questionable at best, and if someone intentionally endured this process they had more money than brains... not that the latter is all that uncommon, sadly.

70chall440

Reaction score
Yeah I completely agree with NorCar, if this was truly a dealer installed situation then there would be an invoice with parts numbers not option codes. Additionally, the dealer (at least the service manager) would have known that Hemi cars, especially Hemi 4 speed cars came with Dana's (and all of the other parts like K frame, T bars, brakes, etc.). If the original guy really wanted a Hemi Convert but Chrysler wouldn't do it then the dealer sure could have made one but they would have insisted on all of the correct parts to go along with it which was available to them.

This is definitely a BS story from the beginning. I hope you are not paying for the story but rather for the car itself.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I didn't even consider the K-member or engine mounts not being on the invoice.

Perhaps he had a coupon.

Reaction score
@NoCar340 Post #13 you state factory hemi headers don’t exist and super stock cars has manifolds.

Well here are a pair of factory hemi headers for all to see. They exist and came on all 1964-1965 super stock hemi cars. Also the 68 hemi A body’s had headers.

I don’t see them on the for sale car above.
EDCAFDE9-E858-43FF-9EE2-1A16B5DE6492.jpeg

Last edited:
Back