• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1972 340 la engine Main caps.....

Locomotion

Reaction score
OEM main caps are not sold separately, unless you buy aftermarket. Direct Connection use to sell "perletic (?)" caps. But regardless of what you get, aftermarket or from another 340 block, you'll have to get a competent machine shop to mill the caps and line bore/hone the mains when assembled. Then you may need a .005 or .010" shorter timing chain (Cloyes) or a tensioner. Use only 340 caps. 273/318 are not as beefy despite having the same main journal bore.

I think I have a single NOS main cap that fits 1,2 & 4 mains. But I'd have to look it.

CUDAOwner

Reaction score
OEM main caps are not sold separately, unless you buy aftermarket. Direct Connection use to sell "perletic (?)" caps. But regardless of what you get, aftermarket or from another 340 block, you'll have to get a competent machine shop to mill the caps and line bore/hone the mains when assembled. Then you may need a .005 or .010" shorter timing chain (Cloyes) or a tensioner. Use only 340 caps. 273/318 are not as beefy despite having the same main journal bore.

I think I have a single NOS main cap that fits 1,2 & 4 mains. But I'd have to look it.
no thanks my rear main cap got damaged an thats all i need the caps 1 2 3 an 4 are fine thanks

Back