• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1973 Barracuda manual steering box free play

1973cuda

Reaction score
Hi Its been awhile but i am starting to work on my '73 with 318 manual steering and notice that when the steering wheel is straight and wheels straight there is just a little free play in the steering wheel but when i turn it to the right about 1/4 turn there is about 4'' of free play in the steering box. Everything in the steering is nice and tight ie tie rods, pitman arm ,idler . The car steers good when driving is this free play normal ...thanks for any help!

1973cuda

Reaction score
Thanks steve for the reply. Here is a picture ,i might try re adjusting the set screw and see if that helps?

Attachments

• steer.jpg
    steer.jpg
    908.7 KB · Views: 112

Steve340

Reaction score
Generally that would only help when you have free play "on centre"
I don't think it will help.
4 inches of movement is huge.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Cannot hurt to try the adjustment ,make sure you do it on center , probably the brgs are shot & the whole shaft is moving up & don inside the box assuming the couple is assembled correctly & there is no play there .

1973cuda

Reaction score
Thanks Hemi and Chryco .Crazy question would i be able to remove the top cover with the 3 bolts to inspect the insides? I did check the gear oil from the fill plug it looks clean and full the worm gear looked ok also. Is 2537349 a good part number for this box cant find mine must be on the side i cant see without removing the box. Thanks everyone

1973cuda

Reaction score
Hello again Can anyone tell me where i can get a rebuild kit for this manual steering box?

1973cuda

Reaction score
Thanks steve I took your advice and got a new stock steering box, what a difference. Please take a look at my steering wheel pic this is how much play was in the old box ,my question since this is when the wheels are straight can i adjust the tie rods to bring my steering wheel back to center. The other pic is showing the tire with the steering wheel in the straight position , thanks

Attachments

• cuda st.jpg
    cuda st.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
  • cuda tire.jpg
    cuda tire.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118

Steve340

Reaction score
Good too hear the new box is OK. I saw some posts from a couple of people who had fitted them and they were very happy. Did you get the 20 to 1 ?
Yes you can adjust roughly but I suggest a good wheel alignment.

Turn the steering box from lock to lock and find the centre of it's travel. At this point the steering wheel should be straight ahead also. This is your starting point. If they are not you need to move the steering wheel - keep the steering box centred.
Then adjust the tie rod end adjusters to bring the wheels straight. You need to adjust both end links until they are equal in length from the inner tie rod end to the outer tie rod end - and each wheel is pointing straight ahead.

1973cuda

Reaction score
I went with the stock 24 to 1 . I could be wrong here but from what i read the steering wheel is keyed so no adjustment, the coupler is keyed and must be aligned with the hole on steering shaft and keyed spline on the box so no adjustment; so that leaves just the tie rods for adjustment....... i hope?

Steve340

Reaction score
That is true stock Mopar stuff uses master splines. You are about to find out if it all lines up now.
None the less my advice on adjustment procedure stands.
It is critical to steering performance to have the box centred when you make tie rod adjustments.

1973cuda

Reaction score
Thanks Steve for the advice will double ck the box for center; just ordered new inner and outer tie rods and sleeves . Thanks again

Steve340

Reaction score
Good idea grease it all up good and set shortest you can. When you install at this point the wheels will be "toe out" a large amount. Lengthen each rod until that wheel becomes straight ahead.
Think of each wheel adjustment independent of the other if you get my meaning.
The weight must be on the suspension.

Back