• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1973 Cuda 426 Hemi Exhaust Manifold / Power Steering Question

vice guy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1973 Cuda that was cloned into a 1971 Cuda. The car has a late 1968 Hemi and what I believe to be Hooker Headers. They hang too close to the ground and prevents me from driving local streets or parking lots that have speed humps. To make the situation worse, there's a gasket leak on the LH side that is noisy and annoying. The car has factory Power Steering.
Could someone let me know what my options are? I don't want headers on the car and I'd like to purchase a set of the current made OEM style exhaust manifolds to replace the headers. Would they fit around the power steering box? If not, I'd like to know what my options are? I need power steering. Hate to lift or drop the motor to remove the headers and find that the manifolds won't clear the steering box. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Adam

Reaction score
Try Remflex gaskets for the headers; that will stop the leak until you get the manifolds.

I believe power steering was a factory option with the hemi; if that is so then the manifolds should fit. I am sure someone here will confirm / correct this...

VANDAN

Reaction score
A friend has an Original '70 Hemi Cuda, with PS and the Original Cast Manifolds, so it does work...

Reaction score
I had a 70 Hemi Cuda with hooker headers that I removed, the right side had a slip tube set up that enabled the header to come out without lifting the motor, unfortunately I don't remember if the left side was a problem. The stock exhaust manifolds had lots of clearance to the power steering box.

vice guy

Reaction score
Vandan, Adam & 704406, Thank you for responding back to my question.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have a 71 Cuda with gen 2 hemi with the repro cast manifolds and have power steering. I have had them on for 17 years and no problem at all. I later changed to Borgeson box and no problem with that fitting either. The C.I. manifolds are maintenance free, I had them Jett Hot coated before installation and they held up great. I never run the motor for less then a half hour on the road, at least 20-30 miles.

72 cuda

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Cuda that I am in the process of cloning to look like a 1971. 6 years ago I dropped in a 1970 hemi into the car. My car has power steering and power brakes. Used the stock manifolds with no problems around the power steering pump or starter. 2 years ago I purchased 3" TTI headers and had them installed by a friend. Was a very tight fit and he had to "hammer" the header very slightly to squeeze by the power steering pump etc but all went in and connected great to the new 3" exhaust. In order to use the headers I had to install a mini starter as well. No Clearence issues with the road at all. In hind sight the install would of been allot easier if I it would of gone with the 2 1/2 inch TTI headers.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I went with the 21/2 exhaust pipe from TTI and had no fitment problems with only Power Steering and then I changed to the Borgenson box and still had no problems.

Adam

Reaction score
Might be unrelated, but the first set of motor mounts I bought for my Challenger didn’t fit right at all... made in India; so possibly old sagging mounts or crappy replacements could cause fitment issues by not supporting the engine at the proper height above the K-frame.

Back