• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1974 cuda power steering gear box replacement problems

Herb Wilcox

Reaction score
So, my car is a shell right now and I thought that replacing the power steering gear box would be a smart idea. I went to Carquest and ordered up the replacement and sent my box back as a core. As I soon found out the replacement box is a 35 spline with a wide alignment spline and my coupler is a 36 spline. The two do not connect. I've spent hours looking for the right box, or a 35 spline coupler with no luck. Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it without spending $500 bucks on an aftermarket box. Thanks.

rklein71

Reaction score
Maybe swap out the original coupler with U-joint style. Can you get a different one from CarQuest as a no-cost return/swap?

Herb Wilcox

Reaction score
Thanks DrEamer. I'll give them a call. I can't find any cars that had this weird 35 spline box but everyone sells it.. Can't find a coupler either... Very frustrated!

napaguy

Reaction score
So, my car is a shell right now and I thought that replacing the power steering gear box would be a smart idea. I went to Carquest and ordered up the replacement and sent my box back as a core. As I soon found out the replacement box is a 35 spline with a wide alignment spline and my coupler is a 36 spline. The two do not connect. I've spent hours looking for the right box, or a 35 spline coupler with no luck. Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it without spending $500 bucks on an aftermarket box. Thanks.
Chrysler counts their splines different from everybody else. ran into same problem on my challenger. borgeson sells a coupler for Chrysler steering shafts. can get it at mancini racing. ease to put on, replaces stock coupler. easier to adjust, a regular 36 spline coupler wont fit mopar shafts

Herb Wilcox

Reaction score
Chrysler counts their splines different from everybody else. ran into same problem on my challenger. borgeson sells a coupler for Chrysler steering shafts. can get it at mancini racing. ease to put on, replaces stock coupler. easier to adjust, a regular 36 spline coupler wont fit mopar shafts
Thanks, I'll give it a try....

Back