• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

26 inch Radiator

money pit

Reaction score
Did the Challengers with a V-8 have a 26 inch radiator as standard? I have the radiator from my 73 challenger that had a 360. I want to install it in my 70 Barracuda that also has a 360. Unfortunately, the radiator core support in the Barracuda is smaller than the dimensions of the radiator. The car was originally a slant six. Did the V-8 Barracudas have a 26 inch radiator as standard? Can I install the 26 inch radiator with an adaptor without enlarging the opening of the core support? Thanks

tonysrt

Reaction score
Barracuda's & challenger's came with 19", 22" & 26" radiators. Came with a 19" with 6's and 318. Max cooling option came with a 22" in 6"s and 26" with the V8's. So if car was a six might be a 19" or if A/C or Max cooling 22".

ZippyZoo

Reaction score
I agree with Bret Schneider posted recommendation. Pictures below are on '71 Challenger.
First picture: Original passenger side radiator support extension for factory 22" radiator
Second picture: aftermarket support extension for 26" radiator installed
Third picture: the original 22" support extension next to the aftermarket 26" support extension. Gives you a feel for width difference.

BUT - if you're not ready to cut up/weld at this point, I just made a flat sheet metal adaptor that bolted to the existing 22" support on one and and the 26" radiator on the other. Sure, the radiator was partially covered by the 22" support, but it worked fine for years with a mild 440.

Attachments

• IMG_1604.JPG
    IMG_1604.JPG
    448.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Radiator Support 1.JPG
    Radiator Support 1.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_2829.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG
    686.9 KB · Views: 199

money pit

Reaction score
I agree with Bret Schneider posted recommendation. Pictures below are on '71 Challenger.
First picture: Original passenger side radiator support extension for factory 22" radiator
Second picture: aftermarket support extension for 26" radiator installed
Third picture: the original 22" support extension next to the aftermarket 26" support extension. Gives you a feel for width difference.

BUT - if you're not ready to cut up/weld at this point, I just made a flat sheet metal adaptor that bolted to the existing 22" support on one and and the 26" radiator on the other. Sure, the radiator was partially covered by the 22" support, but it worked fine for years with a mild 440.
Thanks. I saw a post that had the dimensions to adapt a 26 inch radiator to a 22 inch opening.

Back