• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

318 oil sending unit torque

Jim Kullas

Reaction score
I have a 71 Challenger with a 318. I have the standard dash, so I have no oil pressure gauge, just the low oil pressure idiot light. My low oil pressure light never comes on at startup, so I'm assuming the oil pressure sending unit is bad, or the light bulb for the idiot light is bad. I have ordered a new oil pressure sending unit; can someone give me a suggested torque amount when I install the new oil pressure sending unit? I am also assuming that to get access to the idiot light bulb I will have to remove the dash panel....there is no easy way to access the light bulb..... Thanks.

Steve340

Reaction score
Just guessing but around 8-10 ft pound.
I use a spanner and just give them a gentle tighten they are only small threads.

aussiemark

Reaction score
The oil pressure sender unit has a tapered thread which requires no washer or thread tape to seal I would put a tiny bit of pipe sealant on the thread and just nip it up, because the thread is tapered the base is wider then the tip so the more you screw it in the tighter it will get till it snaps off and being hollow it wouldn't take much force.

Jim Kullas

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses/info. I will be installing the new sending unit this weekend with the benefit of all your much appreciated help.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Ground the wire on the sender first. The light should go on. If it doesn’t , it’s not the sender.

Back