• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 Factory Defect

B5Mopar

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been following the site for some time now, but this is my first post. Looking forward to the interaction and what I can learn from the members here. Thought I would start by sharing my recent learning.

Recently purchased a 1973 Cuda 340 4-speed. Car has not been on the road much for the last 30 years, so took a little work to get her going again. New carb, gas tank, fuel line, plugs, wires, clutch, oil change, etc. Finally on the road and valvetrain had a fairly loud tick. Added Rislone to the oil and drove it 4-5 times over the coarse of a week hoping the additive could work some magic on the lifters. Car started missing and smoking, so removed driver's side valve cover and found a pushrod poked through a rocker arm on #5 intake. Replaced the rocker arm and thought all would now be well. Decided to do compression test before running the motor, and #5 cylinder tested at 28 psi. Tested again and got 40 psi. 3rd test 68 psi. 4th test 120 psi. Subsequent tests were all in the 120s. Other cylinders ranged from 125-155. Started the car up and the tick was still there. Removed valve cover again and found #5 exhaust rocker arm a little loose. Decided it was time to clean all lifters, so removed the intake and disassembled/cleaned all lifters. Surely this would fix the problem!

Reassembled and fired it up. The tick is still there. Still #5 exhaust. Bought an NOS Chrysler lifter and installed. Started it up - still ticking and rocker arm still loose. Bought a new lifter from the local auto parts store. Installed this one (the 3rd lifter) and started it up. Tick goes away briefly, but comes right back and rocker arm is still loose. So now I think it can't be the lifter. Replaced the rocker arm - still ticks. Bought two slightly longer pushrods - the first one temporarily stopped the ticking, but it came right back. The second pushrod stopped the ticking, but it was so long that the exhaust valve never completely closed and engine ran rough.

I'm now about 7 weeks into the battle and think it must be cam lobe wear. Since compression isn't great and the engine doesn't seem to have a lot of power, I decide to bite the bullet and pull the motor. Upon teardown, we find 15 lifter bores with an oil hole. #5 exhaust lifter bore has no oil hole. Attached is a picture of cylinders 1,3 and 5 and the lifter bores after we punched a small hole with a screwdriver (second lifter bore from the right is #5 exhaust). The metal was only about 0.010-0.020 thick. We also find valve guides to be quite worn and lots of carbon build up on the intake valves. Head bolts did not seem very tight and head gaskets are black and wet on both sides.

Amazing that the car ran this way for 106,000 miles and has no measurable wear in the the lifter bore.

Anyone else experienced this? I also can't explain why #5 intake threw the pushrod. Coincidence that #5 exhaust had no lifter oiling? And the compression test on #5 that I mentioned earlier. What caused the varying compression? Sticking valve?

Eager to get your thoughts.

340 Lifter Bore.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
No I have never seen or heard of that particular problem with the incorrect drilling.
Strange it did all those miles.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Consider this. A burnt or bent valve,bad seat. bent rocker shaft.Check VSI valve steam install height.do a leak down test. When motor starts and smokes and clears up.it's the valve guides.Keeps smoking it's the rings or both.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
With no oil the lifter could heat up & stick in the bore then the piston closes the valve & pokes the pushrod through the rocker

Steve340

Reaction score
Some Ford FE engines with mechanical cams have no lifter oil gallery holes at all.
They just relied on what splashed off the crank.
Without the drilling and oil supply being completed a hydraulic lifter could not have worked correctly. Hence the ticking/valve lash noise - and probably the reason the pushrod punched through.
The lifter would have been unable to adjust up.
The 340 with rocker shaft oil being feed from the camshaft bearing theoretically would have been OK.

B5Mopar

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. The motor is totally disassembled now. No bent valves, no broken springs. Valve seats need work and guides are somewhat loose.

I think the ticking on #5 exhaust was definitely caused by no oil to the lifter. What I find strange is that it was #5 intake that threw the pushrod.

Steve340

Reaction score
You have already found a problem that most people may not have noticed so keep going and I am sure you will get it running sweet.
A lot of folks are having trouble with flat tappet hydraulic lifters and excessive wear on cam lobes so watch out for that problem.
I am fitting a solid flat tappet to my own engine to get rid of the hydraulic lifters.

B5Mopar

Reaction score
I’ve read a little bit about lifter issues, especially with newer lifters. One of the cam lobes on my motor has a flat spot, and other lobes are deteriorating, but that’s after 106k miles.

I understand the performance advantage of solid lifters, but do you feel there is a reliability advantage as well? Seems like the cushioning effect of hydraulic lifters would be a little easier on the cam.

Steve340

Reaction score
I usually do a few engines a year and I will no longer fit a hydraulic flat tappet grind. Can't take the chance of a dud lifter or cam lobe failure. It only takes one noisy lifter and you have to keep working on the engine to resolve the issue. The incidence of problems is quite high compared to years ago.
I only do solid lifter or hydraulic roller in a street engine.
A solid lifter grind with the EDM oil hole in the lifter foot is very reliable. The only downside is they are slightly clacky at low engine speed and you have to lash them once in a while.
A modern tight lash solid is quieter than a hydraulic with crap lifters.
On a street car you only lash the valves every few years if the rocker gear is set up properly and is stable in operation. You don't need to do them very often if the lobe ramps are not to aggressive.

blubyou340

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been following the site for some time now, but this is my first post. Looking forward to the interaction and what I can learn from the members here. Thought I would start by sharing my recent learning.

Recently purchased a 1973 Cuda 340 4-speed. Car has not been on the road much for the last 30 years, so took a little work to get her going again. New carb, gas tank, fuel line, plugs, wires, clutch, oil change, etc. Finally on the road and valvetrain had a fairly loud tick. Added Rislone to the oil and drove it 4-5 times over the coarse of a week hoping the additive could work some magic on the lifters. Car started missing and smoking, so removed driver's side valve cover and found a pushrod poked through a rocker arm on #5 intake. Replaced the rocker arm and thought all would now be well. Decided to do compression test before running the motor, and #5 cylinder tested at 28 psi. Tested again and got 40 psi. 3rd test 68 psi. 4th test 120 psi. Subsequent tests were all in the 120s. Other cylinders ranged from 125-155. Started the car up and the tick was still there. Removed valve cover again and found #5 exhaust rocker arm a little loose. Decided it was time to clean all lifters, so removed the intake and disassembled/cleaned all lifters. Surely this would fix the problem!

Reassembled and fired it up. The tick is still there. Still #5 exhaust. Bought an NOS Chrysler lifter and installed. Started it up - still ticking and rocker arm still loose. Bought a new lifter from the local auto parts store. Installed this one (the 3rd lifter) and started it up. Tick goes away briefly, but comes right back and rocker arm is still loose. So now I think it can't be the lifter. Replaced the rocker arm - still ticks. Bought two slightly longer pushrods - the first one temporarily stopped the ticking, but it came right back. The second pushrod stopped the ticking, but it was so long that the exhaust valve never completely closed and engine ran rough.

I'm now about 7 weeks into the battle and think it must be cam lobe wear. Since compression isn't great and the engine doesn't seem to have a lot of power, I decide to bite the bullet and pull the motor. Upon teardown, we find 15 lifter bores with an oil hole. #5 exhaust lifter bore has no oil hole. Attached is a picture of cylinders 1,3 and 5 and the lifter bores after we punched a small hole with a screwdriver (second lifter bore from the right is #5 exhaust). The metal was only about 0.010-0.020 thick. We also find valve guides to be quite worn and lots of carbon build up on the intake valves. Head bolts did not seem very tight and head gaskets are black and wet on both sides.

Amazing that the car ran this way for 106,000 miles and has no measurable wear in the the lifter bore.

Anyone else experienced this? I also can't explain why #5 intake threw the pushrod. Coincidence that #5 exhaust had no lifter oiling? And the compression test on #5 that I mentioned earlier. What caused the varying compression? Sticking valve?

Eager to get your thoughts.

View attachment 99188
Have you checked to see if the cam lobe on no. 5 cyl is wiped? Or the lobe on t he cam damaged. Personnally if i didnt have the funds to. Rebuild i. Would. Refresh. The cam clean and hone cyl, new lifters. Pushrods, check and clean rockers. Rotor cap plug wires and chek and cleanand set the relucter at ..008 " bet it will run decent sounds like the valve could use a good homehoning or lapping good luck

moparleo

Reaction score
OK, so you just bought the car but the person you bought it from said it hasn't run much in the last 30 years ?
If you don't pull it and open it, you will never know what you really bought.
Every guess you make will be based on the assumption that it was running correctly when it was parked.
Pull the engine, buy a gasket set and pull the pan and heads.
Hope in a can rarely works.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't see any engine running 106,000 miles with defective oiling to a lifter. The picture supplied is way too tiny and blury to make out any detail. Like Chryco Physco said, not oil would make the lifter heat up and stick in the bore and cause the push rod to push the rocker. Someone is not telling you the truth about the engine. Looks like you're pulling the engine and "refreshing it" at the very least like Moparleo says.

Back