• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 oil pan issue

32hooptie

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a 1970 340 in a 73 challenger that was originally a 318 car. My problem is the oil pan is to big and wont clear the drag link. so i took the motor back out and I took the oil pan off to try and put a stock 318 pan on but the oil pick up is to long and im not sure how or if i should try and put a shorter oil pick up from a 318 in. give me some feedback fellas

32hooptie

Reaction score
Im a body man not a mechanic, i dont no if i have a center sump oil pan. The oil pickup is more towards the center /rear and the pan is alot deeper than a 318 oil pick up. The 70 340 has this black plastic shield thing around the bottom and is different than 318.
On the side of the block it says 2780980- 340-6. what does the 6 stand for?

Troy

Reaction score
I believe the 318 and 340 pans should be the same. At least the part that hangs down definitely needs to be in the same general area. Center sump means that the deepest part of the pan is near the middle while the front and rear will be only a couple inches thick. I think most trucks had a rear sump. The 340 I recently got came out of a truck.

The -6 designates the number of times the casting mold was used. Typically, a lower number will mean a fresher mold and less chance of core shift (but that's no guarantee).

Troy

NW_CUDA

Reaction score
340 Oil Pan

You need center sump pan which is for car, 318/340 are the same "NOT" 360 they have different bolt pattern. Need a stock oil pan ? E-mail me..
Good Luck !!:icon_tongue:

Back