• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 stroker upgrade

Litchkar

Reaction score
I am pulling my 70 340 block because it spun a rod bearing. I am thinking about going to a stroker kit. I am looking at two options; 415 cu in 4.070 bore x 4" stroke, or a 371 cu in, 4.070 bore with a 3.58" stroke. Do either of these set ups require relief to the block, and what is the biggest difference in performance? I am running Edelbrock heads and performer air gap intake. Trying not to change everything, just give me more kick in the ass for cruising.

gzig5

Reaction score
The 4" stroke requires a very small notch for the rod bolts on a couple cylinders, maybe all of them. 3.58" may be OK without. It is a minimal modification and I wouldn't let that affect my decision on which crank to run. The use case should determine the outcome and for most of us the 4" stroke is the best bang for the buck.

DrEamer

Reaction score
The 3.58 stroke is the same stroke of the as a standard 360, so it should clear the cylinder walls fine. The shorter stroke in theory will rev quicker and need more RPM to make the same horsepower as the 415. The 415 will make more torque then the 371. The only real limitation on the 415 is the Edelbrock heads in stock form do not flow well enough to take full advantage of the extra cubic inches. That said, they will be fine for a street engine with a mild cam. Then again you could have them ported and go a little crazy.:lol:

Last edited:
Back