• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

360 wont crank

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
360. Been sitting a while like 6 years. In a 70 challenger. Replaced tank, lines, filters, sending unit, fuel pump. Carb is an eddy 1406 that’s is good, came of a buddy’s mustang with 302 and saw it run. Still won’t crank.

Decided to replace the plugs, wires, cap, rotor bug. It has a blaster coil and has been upgraded to the electronic ignition so it’s not points (found that out today when pulled the cap). Still won’t run.

noticed goo coming from ignition box. Maybe that’s the culprit? Thought about just running a 4 pin and see if that works.fired off and died after 5-6 seconds.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Could be many things , the ECU is a likely suspect , if you are wired for 5 pin any ECU will work in your system the ECU has to ground to the body so make sure the contact is clean .
Iit could be as simple as the reluctor / pickup gap inside the dist , it should be .008 approx a sheet of paper folded over .
Unfortunattely there is no such thing as a Good 1406 carb tho .

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
Checked the gap on the dizzy with feeler gauge. It’s .008 for sure. I suppose I can look for a carter around here and see if I get lucky

terrywalker

Reaction score
If it's not cranking or only did it once, sounds like it's in the starting circuit. If it's cranking but not firing, it's probably a problem in the ignition circuit. Does it run for a few seconds if you give it a shot of starter fluid? If so, then look at carb or fuel delivery problem.
Terry

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
I will try some starter fluid tonight and see if that will fire it off. With a new fuel system I would hope it’s not that. New carter stock pump as well.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
So not use starting fluids of any kind. Pour a little gas into a bottle then pour some into the bowl vent on the carb. Maybe a little down the carb. Kim

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
That’s was the plan Kim actually. I appreciate ya caring about this country boy! Ha.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
check for strong spark , pull the coil wire & hold it close to ground [1/4" or so away ] while cranking it should have steady blue spark

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
So last night got home late and have a new baby so not much time to mess with anything. Pulled cap again to check the reluctor and pickup gap. Notice the screw for adjusting the pickup hold down is free spinning and won’t tighten down or loose. And the pickup moves and can make contact with the reluctor. Soooo May pull the dizzy and see if I can get the screw out. If not may tach weld it in for now. Or may in weld it since it should not have a lot of force on it. To at least test it while I order another one. New spark box on the way, and get another distributor ordered today.

Additionally, I removed that eddy 1406 and replaced it with an 1806 I forgot that. I think that 1806 may be a little fat right now so gonna get an cal kit ordered to remedy that. Surely it can work as it’s a 650cfm

May go ahead and pull the intake and heads and do a heads and intake and potentially go ahead and swap cam to comp 268/280 in it for a mild bump.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would Pick a different cam company Comp is not designed to work in Mopars & tends to perform poorly .
I believe you have located the problem , if the pick up is floating around not sitting tight that will cause all of the issues

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
Got it jb welded to try it tomorrow. What cam are you recommending? I have a set of worked big valve j heads I was going to put on at the same time with an air gap intake.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The Cam is the single most important choice in any engine build .
I have no idea what you want the engine to do , powerband range , type of use , gearing , Auto or Manual trans etc so I need a lot more info to help select a specific cam But I use a lot of Lunati or Engle cams in my builds .
The RPM Air Gap is a great intake . although it is tall .

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
That’s fair. It’s an auto car, y’all gear I will have to look, 904 tranny with plans of a street car. Lots to decide still.

i_taz

Reaction score
Could be many things , the ECU is a likely suspect , if you are wired for 5 pin any ECU will work in your system the ECU has to ground to the body so make sure the contact is clean .
Iit could be as simple as the reluctor / pickup gap inside the dist , it should be .008 approx a sheet of paper folded over .
Unfortunattely there is no such thing as a Good 1406 carb tho .

How do you feel about the 1411...???

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
Update for the evening. Still waiting in ignition module to come in but had some time to do some checking. The jb weld on the pickup could bolt is great. .008 on the pickup coil to reluctor verified. And tried it again.....No dice.

Decided to check new Carter M6866 pump for flow again....nothing. Pulled the pump and diaphragm is broke. Put old pump back in as it was pumping fine, just was replacing as a precaution. Primed up easy and car cranked up but idled like crap and was running far from the burning eyeballs and the smoke of unburnt fuel. Rev it up to clear it out and revs out fine it seems with some more fair flow.

Thinking this Eddy 1806 (650cfm) may be jetted (haven’t checked yet) a bit too fat for the idle conditions. Thinking I may swap my 1406 back on that was jetted correctly for the car when I got it and see what we get. And keep the 1806 for post cam and heads here eventually. new to tuning carbs, only have done it in a atvs/dirt bikes

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
Additional info and some thoughts would be great. Car doesn’t idle, it will try and start and fall on its face. But if you hold the pedal down it will light off, run kinda rough and clear out. I’m thinking it’s too rich. Thinking I need to check jet size/metering rod size check float level.
The 650cfm at base jetting shouldn’t be too big for a stock 360 I wouldn’t think.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The fuel pressure could be too high causing it to flood & if the pressure is high the floats need to be set lower or a regulator installed so I would check that first . Is the choke opening properly ?

jdcarnathan

Reaction score
choke is working correctly. I will check fuel pressure tomorrow. I believe it’s 5 lbs or so

CMC

Reaction score
Hi Chryco,

Could you explain a little more about cam choices---you use ( Lunati or Engle cams ) not Comp...

Whats the difference?

Thanks...

PS - Building a 340 (71) with A/T 727 mostly stock for cruising

Back