• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

383 cam stuck

1970fury3

Reaction score
I’m in the middle of disassembling my 383 currently. I have the lifters cam-chain and gears out and off. I also have the push rod for the fuel pump as well as the gear drive for the distributor/ oil pump off. So I put the cam gear back on to take the cam out but it’s not budging am I missing something? Or is there a larger problem

Adam

Reaction score
Take off the cam gear and thread a long bolt into the end of the cam, as a handle. You will have better leverage.

fasjac

Reaction score
I agree. Just needs a some influence. Unless the B has set for a very long time or it ran so hot the bearings are stuck to the cam somewhat . I doubt that though.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Sounds like a bigger problem , is the cam turning ?
There could be a ridge in the cam brgs holding the cam in , you could use a pry bar behind the cam gear & try to pop it forward

1970fury3

Reaction score
I
Sounds like a bigger problem , is the cam turning ?
There could be a ridge in the cam brgs holding the cam in , you could use a pry bar behind the cam gear & try to pop it forward
it spins it just won’t slide out

1970fury3

Reaction score
So I got the cam out and this is what the cam bearings look like. What do you think caused this? I personally have never ran this motor I bought it to rebuild it so I’m just curious

image.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have seen it before , hard to know the cause , if the brgs were not sized properly it could cause the damage & that may be why the cam would not slide out also , if you are rebuilding you will be replacing them anyway at least .

moparleo

Reaction score
Have the cam journals checked for straightness. May have to have the machine shop hone the journals true. Than just need over-sized bearings. Also have the main journals checked at the same time. I have experienced problems with both before on an engine block that was "dropped" in the past slightly causing a bearing misalignment problem with the rear mains.

Steve340

Reaction score
I have seen a similar problem on several engines with really old bearings or perhaps the original bearings worn out and damaged by acids etc in the engine oil.
Excess bearing clearance leading to not enough oil protection also comes to mind.
I had an engine years ago that a cam bearing had completely "delaminated" the bearing material layer. The only way I got the cam out was to remove the back oil plug and tap the camshaft forward out of the block.
There was nothing really wrong with the block. New cam bearings and all good.

Reaction score
That’s the front bearing, someone banged the cam journals against it going on the block and the material flaked off.

Adam

Reaction score
That’s the front bearing, someone banged the cam journals against it going on the block and the material flaked off.
I agree, also could have damaged them during installation

Back