• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

383 swap to 440 (cast crank)- into '71 Challenger- am I on the right track for the conversion?

rustyacres

Reaction score
Hi All, Im currently posted overseas (for work, same old story)! Im hoping you all might tell me if I'm thinking in the right direction regarding what I need to mate a newer cast crank externally balanced 440 onto a 727 -

(I'm trying to buy the parts while I'm away so I can play when I get home!!!)

Background
I have a rusty ex drag 71 challenger which is getting everything I possibly can from a donor B body Australian dodge phoenix (Plymouth fury III). It has a 383/727. The 383 has the heads off and doesn't look too flash, but the 727 is reconditioned and good to go. Ive found a good 440 in Australia (not cheap mind you compared to states prices), however it is newer model cast crank.

After filtering through a heap of 440 swaps Ive come to the following conclusion regarding parts ill need to make it work with an aftermarket torque converter (stall yet to be determined)

Cast crank 6 bolt flex plate for pairing with aftermarket
Flexplate 6 bolt - Cast Crank-440 Source

Hughest performance street master torque converter

Will also get a HD bolt kit and a tranny cooler.

Am I on the right track or missing something??
Thanks in advance!!

R

Adam

Reaction score
Not specific to your question, but exhaust headers will be different, manifolds will be similar, but with different head pipes.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The 440 will bolt in where the 383 was no problem , the balanced flex plate will correct the balance problem .
the stall speed will be critical to match the engine & gearing especially will a low compression 440 .

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Not really sure of your intended use for your car, but for great street/strip, pop a 6-71 blower on it and you won't have to worry about stall speed or gearing. Jet it rich and run it 20% under. Run a big , lumpy cam to cut down on the low end compression. 28 degrees (12-14 initial/14-16 on the fly) total max on the timing. I'm sure gas isn't cheap in Australia (despite the fact that there's tons of crude oil in that region of the world), but you're not building a Prius. Yes, I've had a few tonight. I also have a '71. Cheers from America

Back