• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 advice please.

Rob2thec

Reaction score
Hey fellow E Body fans.

Ok I am trying to do some research on my project. I am open to ideas.

Lets say that I go through the proper procedure and the motor has good compression and moves freely. IF I wanted to get this this motor running well systems would you replace? I basically want to try and use this motor for as long as I can before having to do a full rebuild. That way I can allocate funds to other much bigger issues.

I am not planning a full restoration of this car seeing that it does not have matching numbers and I cant afford to do the 10+ body work that it will need right now. My goal is to get it going and have a little fun with it. Also work out other systems..

The motor has been sitting for 20 years in the high desert of CA. I am optimistic that the motor will be ok.

From what I can see it will need:

Distributor
Carb

I plan on replacing the Alternator
Fuel Pump
water pump
all belts
flush all fluids
Plugs
wires
Fuel pump
Flush fuel lines
drop tank and clean

My issue is that I am not sure what parts (or part numbers) I will need. This thing is a mystery to me and I really want to try and get as much knowledge from you guys before I tear into this thing. Also please keep in mind that any new electronic ignitions, or pumps that you suggest I am ok with! The goal is to build it into a steerable well handling car. I am not doing any body work until I have fitted a 5 speed, worked out all the kinks with electrical, and installed the RMS Alterkation front and rear system. Body and cosmetic will happen after I get a package that will do what I want the car to do.

ALSO, if anyone can tell me what they see or ID anything from these photos that would be so helpful! Apparently it was a built engine at one point but my uncle can not remember what was done to it.. Such a fun process!

Last, would the Edelbrock Power package be compatible with this motor? I have an in there and can get the system for a very very good deal..

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3643.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

Thank you for all info and advice!

Rob2thec

Reaction score
Can anyone positively ID the motor as well?

E440 1969 440? six pack internals?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Rob2thec

Reaction score
A little more information on the motor that I just received. Apparently My Uncle is not 100% sure what car it originally came from. But he said it was a 6 pack motor. It is bored over .60? and has had the bottom end balanced. Not blue printed. He pulled the motor out of a dodge Aspen, but I think it was put into the aspen by the owner.

Thank you again!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You have a 69 HP motor. It may be balanced. It may have 6 pack rods. It is not a 6 pack motor. It is most likely a B body motor. Get a pic of the numbers that are stamped along the oil pan rail. That will tell more about the motor.

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Hi Rod, Great web site to look at called 440 source, lots of info on B/RB engines, should give you all of the info you need an d more:icon_thumright:, good luck

Adam

Reaction score
Yes the Edelbrock package is compatible; But I wouldn't put those new parts on a questionable engine. Even if all the engine internals are good, and the cylinders aren't rusty; the gaskets, main seal, water pump and valve seals are surely rotten. Also, I think it would be a hassle to get that running, change the suspension and then do the cosmetic separately. I would do it all once:

1. Drop the engine, trans, K-frame and suspension out the bottom, as a unit. Easy to do and puts everything out in the open.
2. With an empty engine compartment you can blast, clean, fix any damage, paint it and be done with it.
3. Good time to replace the brake booster and engine compartment wiring harnesses.
4. The Alterkation suspension is nice, but you would save thousands by upgrading to fat Torsion bars, a Firm Feel steering box & urethane suspension bushings.

This is just my opinion, but I have done all of these things. Here is a link to my Challenger photo album : http://ImageEvent.com/adamell/wiperparts

Adam

Reaction score
Yes the Edelbrock package is compatible; But I wouldn't put those new parts on a questionable engine. Even if all the engine internals are good, and the cylinders aren't rusty; the gaskets, main seal, water pump and valve seals are surely rotten. Also, I think it would be a hassle to get that running, change the suspension and then do the cosmetic separately. I would do it all once:

1. Drop the engine, trans, K-frame and suspension out the bottom, as a unit. Easy to do and puts everything out in the open.
2. With an empty engine compartment you can blast, clean, fix any damage, paint it and be done with it.
3. Good time to replace the brake booster and engine compartment wiring harnesses.
4. The Alterkation suspension is nice, but you would save thousands by upgrading to fat Torsion bars, a Firm Feel steering box & urethane suspension bushings.

This is just my opinion, but I have done all of these things. Here is a link to my Challenger photo album : http://ImageEvent.com/adamell/wiperparts

I live near the high desert, but I work down in LA. I would be happy to stop by if you needed help with something.

moparleo

Reaction score
Before you buy any parts, pull the engine, put it on an engine stand and disassemble for inspection. DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING!! Trust BUT Verify. After you do that, get back with us. If you still want to assume the bottom end is good with out inspecting it, you are wasteing your time and ours. Sorry but that is a fact. No Dodge Aspen ever had an RB or B block sized engine.

Rob2thec

Reaction score
Thank you all for the support and responses.

I have decided to pull the motor and have it gone through. I am going to stick with the Edelbrock system, have it built compression wise to match that, and use a 750 carb.

Next question. Are the Sealed Power rebuild kits on Summit any good? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rob2thec

Reaction score
Thank you Cryco Psycho

Does anyone know of a good machine shop in the Los Angeles area that could go through the block and reassemble the bottom end? Balance and blueprint it?

Thank you.

Adam

Reaction score
I like Jim Grubb motorsports in Santa Clarita, by Magic Mountain . He has done the machine work on two engines for me.

moparleo

Reaction score
Glad to see you going that way. Fortunately for you, Southern California is the Mecca of high performance retail parts and highly qualified machine shops. As Chryco says, quality varies with different parts packages. Before you order any parts, you will need to have your engine evaluated by the machine shop doing your engine work. A reputable machine shop will recommend the individual parts to you based on your expectations, their experience with the suppliers and parts manufacturers.

Back