• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 clearance under challenger flat hood

A3404bbl

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I have a ‘74 challenger that was a factory 318 car with the flat hood, that I am swapping to a 440 based 512 stroker. My questions are:

1. will the 440 fit under the flat hood with carb and air cleaner?

2. Does the bracing on the underside of the R/T hood allow for extra clearance, or is the buldge in the hood just cosmetic on the exterior?

Thank for your help!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes the ralley hood adds clearance , yes the 440 will fit but you may need a drop base air cleaner , the intake used also has a great deal to do with clearance .

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The RPM is a taller intake , the Holley Street Dominator would be a better choice as it is only about 3/4" taller than stock , you won't even lose any power with the Street Dom especially if it is ported .

Last edited:

Glas86

Reaction score
This is a 440 with CH4B intake in my challenger with flat hood. It does clear the hood but the aircleaner would touch one of the braces every now and then under heavy acceleration. A dual snorkel air cleaner would give me more clearance so there is no interference.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 136
  • AnsichtVL.jpg
    AnsichtVL.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 121

A3404bbl

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and pics. Beautiful car! I have a tall deck 440 and a taller intake which is causing my clearance issue. The flat hood will close with no air cleaner or air cleaner stud in the carb. I went ahead and ordered the rallye hood to get the extra clearance I needed.

cv70chall

Reaction score
This is a 440 with CH4B intake in my challenger with flat hood. It does clear the hood but the aircleaner would touch one of the braces every now and then under heavy acceleration. A dual snorkel air cleaner would give me more clearance so there is no interference.
Hello,

I've been searching for that style air cleaner for a while. I've got a 70 Challenger that I upgraded from a flat hood/ 318 to a Rallye Hood/ 440 a while back. Any idea where they can be had?

Glas86

Reaction score
I have a single 4barrel carb so an air grabber air filter worked for me.
You can get them at pg classics.
There is one for 440 and one for 383. The 383 one sits higher. I got mine on a swap meet buts its identical to this one:

Back