• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 install

fasteddie

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestion's. I'm at the end of a 5+ year complete restoration of my 1971 Winchester Gray Metallic Cuda. The engine is a 440 6 barrel. I don't have the clearance to place it in the engine compartment as complete (engine & trans).
What would be the best way to install? trans first than the engine or engine than trans?

moparlee

Reaction score
The best and easiest way is from the bottom like this. Works real slick. I installed the front bumper brackets as the lifting point.
DSCF1366.JPG

aussiemark

Reaction score
Moparlee's way is the way they did it at the factory and the way all the top restorers do it, this way prevents damage to paintwork and you don't have to remove the hood (2 man job) impossible to do by yourself. However I do it carefully through the top with the hood removed. You put the transmission in position with the torque converter properly indexed and slid in all the way sitting on a transmission jack so you can adjust the angle. You then carefully put the engine in through the top with an engine crane with the exhaust manifolds and any other parts that make it hard removed like the radiator, shroud, fan, carbs, etc removed. Once the engine mounts are attached you then adjust the engine and transmission angles to allow them to pushed together all the way then bolted up. Next working through the inspection cover hole slide the converter forward and turn it to line up the flex plate holes and bolt it up. Lift the back of the transmission up and fit the cross member and mount.

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
Moparlee's way is the way they did it at the factory and the way all the top restorers do it,

Mark, just to make sure nobody thinks that I am a "top restorer", I am just a DIY'er car enthusiast like everybody else here :lol:. I have done several other installs from the top, but thought I would try the bottom method once. I thought it worked great and would probably do it again if needed.

fasteddie

Reaction score
Thanks for the valuable information. One problem I have is the engine is totally built out. I had it dynode. I removed the trans. after having it done. I would hate to pull the top of the engine off to install. Does that mean Moparlee's way is the only other choice?

fasteddie

Reaction score
I didn't note that I do have plenty of people to help. Three are skilled, and two that are just extra bodies. But none have us installed an engine in a valuable Mopar.

moparlee

Reaction score
Eddie, if you are just dropping in the engine without the transmission you should not have to pull off the exhaust manifolds. But pull the carb, and alternator, fan, shroud, and radiator as Mark said so they don't get bumped and damaged.

Daves69

Reaction score
IMO, If just engine, pull the carbs and cap/tape the intake ports. Radiator out for sure. Not sure you'll have adequate clearance with hood on. Maybe pieces of thin ply or underlayment can help protect firewall and/or inner wells from possible scratches/dings. I believe your oil pan will rest on top of the center link unless you block it.
BTW, double check the engine mount positions. Last thing you want is to be going in and out and back in with the engine.

If you go in from the top with trans attached you can lift the rear of the car. You can still have conflict with oil pan to k member and trans to firewall/hump, especially with a deep pan. If you think a 440 in an E body is tight, try one in an A body with the hood off.

Factory assembly method the best.

fasteddie

Reaction score
I will have the hood off the car. I bought 2 moving blankets to lay over the wheel tubs to keep them from being scratched up.

Adam

Reaction score
I did mine, from the bottom. It only took an hour or so. My 440 with headers, steering box, starter, trans, etc, came straight up and into place. No scratches!
4 bolts for the K frame, trans cross member and it is in.

With the back wheels up on some ramps, for height, I jacked the front of the car high enough that I was able to slide the engine and trans under the car. Then I let the car down onto jack stands, and used a cherry picker to lift the engine, with a floor jack under the tail shaft. I had no hood on, so this was easy.

You do not have to remove the top of the engine, you can use the alternator bolt holes in the left front/right rear of the heads, or a carb lifting plate.

I chose this method because I did not want to lay under the car trying to bolt up the trans & clutch and try to wrestle in the starter, steering box, exhaust, etc.

Think about it, the factory didn’t have some guy leaning over the fender installing the components, it was done in seconds, from the bottom.

fasteddie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input on my project. MONDAY is going to be install day, after all the suggestions received. I decide to remove the hood of the car, I've removed the carbs and manifold, and anything else protruding. we are going to jack up the rear end of the car at as steep of an angle as we can. Ease the engine and trans in as 1 unit lowering the rear end and raising the trans till all line up.
Thanks again for all you ideas. will let you know how it goes , and if I can figure out how to send photos I will. Eddie

fasteddie

Reaction score
Just finished!! Engine is in Cuda. Worked like a champ. All that's left is to get it ready for the spring shows. Thanks again to all

Back