• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 pulley alignment with ATI harmonic balancer

Cuda525

Reaction score
When installing pulleys found crank pulley forward about 3/8” of an inch in relationship to the Water pump pulley. Has anyone run into this when using the ATI damper?
This being a new engine to the car I have bought all new pulleys, so the parts have never been running together.
I think 3/8” water pump spacers may work, but was curious to hear if anyone else has overcome this in a different way? Thanks in advance for your input.

Cuda525

Reaction score
Yes on all the way in installed by engine builder very tight to timing cover

oldkimmer

Reaction score
I think ur new dampner is thicker. Is ur top pulley 2 3/4 deep? If so u can use a 69 and older small block w/p pulley. It’s 2 9/16 deep. It’s also only 6 inch so it will speed up ur water pump. Kim

Cuda525

Reaction score
The water pump pulley and the alternator pulley line up well.
I think if I move the pump pulley to meet the crank pulley it will create a misalignment to the alternator as that diamension is set with the water pump housing.
The crank pulley is from my 340 and I believe the 340 and 440 share the same crank pulley and the alignment was good on the 340 so I doubt my crank pulley is problem.
I’ reaching out to ATI and the builder to see what there thoughts are as well.
Thanks to all for replies.
Will let you know what I figure out maybe it will help someone in the future.
Good thought on the smaller diameter WP pulley!

oldkimmer

Reaction score
I know u would have to space out ur alt as well. I don’t think u will find a lower pulley to line up with the alt and w/p unless u get some aluminum pulleys. My top pulley is a 2 groove that the inner grove just clears the w/p. Have an alum pulley on the bottom. Kim

D83DA01C-D387-4239-B4D8-1610387F3031.jpeg

9B87D02A-2591-41BD-8079-02D0A6B997D1.jpeg

BF22E7B8-C25B-4F45-83C1-B86DA5EB84C3.jpeg

1733B1BE-0354-4BF0-BE64-47562DD9A16A.jpeg

Last edited:

oldkimmer

Reaction score
I remembered for the bottom pulley on my other car I found a 3 or 4 groove factory pulley and had the other groves machined off. Don’t think I have any pics though. Kim

Cuda525

Reaction score
Looks like I bought the 3 ring ATI damper and I should have bought the 2 ring to keep closer to stock pulley spacing. That’s gonna leave a mark.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I bought a crankshaft fluid damper for my 383 15years ago, not realizing the damper was 1/2 thicker then stock. I then needed to buy a March underdrive pully set to make it work. After I got tired of my motor overheating & battery draining (25% underdrive) I got inventive.I got a shop to cut out 1/2" from the stock crank pully but they welded it up crooked, threw belts above 7000rpm. So I used the underdrive crank pully, modified a (hate to say it) chevy 3 groove w/p pully into a single groove pully (gave me the stock crank too w/p ratio), spaced my P/S rearward and made a alt bracket. My belt runs crank-w/p-p/s, and 2nd belt runs crank to alt. It was alot of trial and error but this setup works for me. A 4 groove A/C crank pully would have worked if I could have found a smaller dia. W/p pully.

Cuda525

Reaction score
I started to think I would just space out the water pump housing, but figured I would make more work than just swapping damper.
Thanks for sharing your modifications love seeing all the different aproaches.

Back