• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 Swap into a 318 car

ThePurple440

Reaction score
I have a 72 Challenger base which I'm restoring and also putting in a 440, I heard that the subframes are different between the 2 engines and if so i need to start hunting for a 440 subframe. Any help is welcomed!

cuda joe

Reaction score
they sell tublar k members easer than getting an original

Katfish

Reaction score
All V8 k members are the same, except Hemi
440 will bolt in directly, with 440 engine mounts, no changes needed

moparlee

Reaction score
Post up a WTB for a V8 K-frame (except hemi) and someone here will have one for sale.

57fury440

Reaction score
You do not have to change the K frame. The 440 will bolt right in with the correct mounts for it. The 318 transmission will not bolt to the 440 so you will need a 727 to fit it. You will also need to change the radiator. You can also change the 318 torsion bars for big block ones but with the right shocks you can get away without the switch. I've done a few in the past and it is pretty easy. Good luck.

ThePurple440

Reaction score
You do not have to change the K frame. The 440 will bolt right in with the correct mounts for it. The 318 transmission will not bolt to the 440 so you will need a 727 to fit it. You will also need to change the radiator. You can also change the 318 torsion bars for big block ones but with the right shocks you can get away without the switch. I've done a few in the past and it is pretty easy. Good luck.
Thanks!

moparleo

Reaction score
The 440 will need all of its accessories and pulleys etc...If you want to use the original wiring harness a few mods will need to be done but honestly the harnesses are a constant problem on an old Mopar. After 50 years the insulation gets hard and is prone to cracking. Grounds are corroded, usually there are splices for accessories added over the years etc...
Depends on if you want to do it right or do it cheap.
If it has drum brakes you may want to upgrade to disc as well.

ThePurple440

Reaction score
The 440 will need all of its accessories and pulleys etc...If you want to use the original wiring harness a few mods will need to be done but honestly the harnesses are a constant problem on an old Mopar. After 50 years the insulation gets hard and is prone to cracking. Grounds are corroded, usually there are splices for accessories added over the years etc...
Depends on if you want to do it right or do it cheap.
If it has drum brakes you may want to upgrade to disc as well.
Its a bare car, getting put on a rotisserie so it will be all redone

Katfish

Reaction score
Back