• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 to 426 Hemi swap

Reaction score
My car is going through the restoration process and is an all numbers matching car.
I don’t want to possibly blow the 440 in her now and loose the value of the car when I hand it down to one of my children. Therefor I plan to buy a 426 or 528 Hemi to put in the car.
The question is this. When I have the engine built, what is the most hp (e.g. 500-700hp) the engine should put out so as to keep the car original without having to structurally modify the body to handle the power?

aussiemark

Reaction score
I would get another 440 and build it for the car and if you blow it up no harm done and you can still twist the unibody but it will be a lot cheaper.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Are you planning on driving this or beating the crap out of it? Shouldn’t ruin anything under normal use.

doubleyellow

Reaction score
My stock 440 convertible had stress deformation on the floor...had 90K miles already, but the body was twisting from the torque......was told this is common on Big Blocks.

Was warned not to go over 500HP on a stock e-body.....must reinforce body and upgrade suspension.

Reaction score
Originally I was going to go for another 440. But the Hemi bug has got a hold of me. Now that I am retired I might as well enjoy the car before I go. I don't plan on "beating the crap out of it" mostly short trips to car shows. I would like to take it once to the local strip just to see what it will do. I found where there is a bolt-in frame connector package which lets you tie the front and rear frame for drag cars. Would those be helpful with out permanently modifying the car? What other temporary upgrades to the suspension would I need to do? Sorry to hear that 500hp is the most recommended. I was hoping closer to 600hp.

Reaction score
You stated You didn’t want to “lose the value of the car”. Well frankly everything else you are typing here is going to loose the value of the car. 600 horse Hemi, bolt in frame connectors, etc. Sounds like you need another car to go have fun with. You are not going to blow a 440 by street driving it.

All the “temporary modifications” and engine swaps will likely be permanent unless your kids are gear heads and like to wrench on old cars. The original engines many times never go back in the car before it is sold off for the cash. Don’t mean to talk down anybody, but this happens alot.

What year and model is your car?

Last edited:
Reaction score
You stated You diidn’t want to “lose the value of the car”. Well frankly everything else you are typing here is going to loose the value of the car.

600 horse Hemi, bolt in frame connectors, etc. Sounds like you need another car to go have fun with. You ar not going to blow a 440 by street driving it.

All the “temporary modifications” and engine swaps will likely be permanent unless your kids are gear heads and like to wrench on old cars. The original engines many times never go back in the car before it is sold off for the cash. Don’t mean to talk down anybody, but this happens alot.

What year and model is your car?
All original numbers matching 1970 Cuda 4spd Dana 3.54.

moparleo

Reaction score
To clarify, it is Torque, not horsepower that will twist your unibody. Back in the 80's when I was in the gun business, I would thank my customers who kept their guns in unfired, pristine condition for taking care of their guns for me. I would tell them that instead of enjoying them and keeping them well maintained, their wives many times would bring their collections to me after the old man died and say " just take them, I never did like these things around the house!" Point, You only live once, enjoy it, take care of it, and let the next care taker decide what they want to do with it. Resale means nothing...unless you resell it.;)

Reaction score
Or another waY to think of this. Sell the car to someone who enjoys a numbers matching stock vehicle.

Then go buy the hotrod you really want.

Been awhile since they made a numbers matching 440 4speed Cuda.

Reaction score
Or another wat to think of this. Sell the car to someone who enjoys a numbers matching stock vehicle.

Then go buy the hotrod you really want.

Been awhile since they made a numbers matching 440 4speed Cuda.
Kind of hard to do since I have own the car since 1973. It has become a family heirloom with all my children wanting it. I told them they will have to cut a new deck of cards for it. lol

Reaction score
Easy to cut it up, hard to sell? I’ve seen it done, the ending isn’t pretty. Cars all hotrodded up, your jazzed for a short time while the changes are “ new” any you get lots of attention. Then it will be ho-hum boring to you and everyone else. Just a cut up Cuda with a Hemi motor. Then your stuck with a cut up mess.

So just leave the damn thing stock already!

You do your plan to a 318 barracuda these days, not a U code 4 speed number matching car. We have learned this from others mistakes, right?

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
Mr 6pack has an original EV2 Hemi Cuda that he uses in the F.A.S.T category drag racing that car would have to be close to 600hp he has been campaigning that car for years and I don't think it would have any extra bracing or modifications just the original torque boxes that are probably on your car now. If your tyres are normal width it will break traction before it winds up the unibody too much and if you only race it once in a while it should be ok. Put the matching numbers block in the corner, get your Hemi and go for it.

Reaction score
No, he doesn’t. Bob K (Mr 6 pack) runs in pure stock and goes 11.70’s. The cars in the F.A.S.T. class are 500+ cubic inches and go 9’s: big difference.

Bob K’s car is a real Hemi body with a Hemi. Looks all stock, not cut up, it can’t be to run that class. We can figure that 117.9 mph in a 3900 lb car is right at 500 horses.

Hey go run the pure stock with it as a 440 4 speed Cuda that it is, that would be great!

16B2C391-A84F-4E3B-A72F-A6DAC4C05935.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
No, he doesn’t. Bob K (Mr 6 pack) runs in pure stock and goes 11.70’s. The cars in the F.A.S.T. class are 500+ cubic inches and go 9’s: big difference.

Bob K’s car is a real Hemi body with a Hemi. Looks all stock, not cut up, it can’t be to run that class. We can figure that 117.9 mph in a 3900 lb car is right at 500 horses.

Hey go run the pure stock with it as a 440 4 speed Cuda that it is, that would be great!

View attachment 60531
Thanks. This is exactly the info that I am looking for. My car came with the A33 Track Pak which includes the torque boxes for frame strength. The only difference between Mr 6pack's car and mine is the engine and transmission. My 4spd is a hemi 4spd his is auto. Also I have the stronger Dana (heavier) rear end vs his Chrysler 8 3/4. A Hemi 500hp/500ft/lbs engine would fit the bill.

Reaction score
What I’m saying is, keep the car as it is. You have a 440 4 speed number car, LEAVE IT THAT WAY! ITS AWESOME THAT WAY! Build the original motor to a 500 horse fun machine with quality parts and it won’t blow up.

That what Bob K did with his, left the engine trans combo original. A Hemi auto car all stock pieces, no headers, original carbs, stock brakes, stock wheels, etc it has to be like that to run pure stock. He could go to a car show with it and be all correct, he just made some more power.

Your car is a 440 4 speed numbers car.
LEAVE IT THAT WAY! There are guys pulling a U code 4 speed stripped rolling shell out and restoring it back to original, its what you already have, don’t muck it up!

YOU said you didn’t want to hurt the value. Well a Hemi swap will hurt value, it will do what you don’t want.

Build a 318 barracuda into your HEMI DREAM clone car. And have a great time doing it!

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
I totally agree with 413 you should just leave it original, just build it strong with quality parts and don't over rev it like a boy racer and it will be fine. U code Cuda is a very rare car they made more V codes in 1970 that is why they never made U codes in 1971. If you put a Hemi in it will just be another Hemi clone wannabe it's way cool as is and if the engine is removed it does increase the chance of separation from the car. For extra insurance maybe put a rev limiter in it so you can't over do it as long as it has good oil pressure it will not have problems.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Another idea to increase under hood wow factor is put a 6 pack set up on it, you can get all the parts brand new and if the original 4bbl parts do go missing for what ever reason they will be a lot easier to replace then a matching numbers block. At the end of the day you have a Mona Lisa now there is no need to fit a gold frame it is already very impressive.

Back