• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

6 Pack Vacuum issues.

RANDY LOBERGER

Reaction score
Had my 340 six pack rebuilt by Chicago Carburetor. Had some issues with leakage from the bowls since none of the screws were tightened properly. Car now runs fine but front and rear carbs don't open. Both have new vacuum pods. I bought a vacuum pump and when I hook it to either the front or rear carb I can't pull any vacuum, needle doesn't even move. One forum I read said you have to put your finger over the bleed hole in the side of the venturi but I have not been able to find this hole. I would think that even with the bleed hole open I should be able to pull a little vacuum with enough pumping. Any suggestions?

Thx.

RANDY LOBERGER

Reaction score
Thanks, that helped. Although my bleeder hole is in a different location I got lucky and found it. I removed one of the vacuum pods and it tested fine. Then by plugging the bleeder hole and the vacuum pod port I got vacuum to hold fine. Reinstalled the pod and again nothing. Again removing the pod I inspected the small cork gasket between the pod and the carburetor body. The gasket seems to be too thin, and is recessed, not making contact with the throttle body at all, thus failing to create a seal.
Pretty disappointed, for what I paid, and it is obvious that there was never any bench testing of this unit.

Thanks again.

Back