• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

6 way adjustable seat track restoration

challboy728

Reaction score
The seat tracks in my 1970 Challenger T/A were very stiff. I am having the seats re-upholstered, so I figured it was a good time to restore the seat tracks. I disassembled the 6 way seat track and found one of the zinc guides had a flange broken off. I did a search of the interweb, and did not find anyone that had these available. Does anyone know of a supplier or does anyone have one they would be willing to part with? See pics.
Also, I didn't see anything on the internet with instructions on how to get the 6 way seat track apart. I discovered you have to push out the studs that bolt the seat track to the body. I used a vise to do this. You have to fully support the flanges on the hat section profile of the track to avoid deforming it. I put a nut on the stud, flush with the end, to prevent damage to the threads. The stud will push out of the plate, but will not push all the way out of the hat section profile (the head hits the vise jaw). However, I found if you keep the stud clamped in the vise, you can wiggle it out of the hat section profile. Once the studs out out, the track will come apart. Be careful not to lose the rollers and guides (as shown in pics). Also, I found 1 stud is shorter than the other 3. You will want to be sure to reinstall it in the same position.
20210608_100646.jpg
20210608_100630.jpg

Max Wedge

Reaction score
I had the same issue on mine.

I made new ones from brass. Probably better than original.

Helps if you have a mill, but can be done with a file with skill and patience.

Last edited:

challboy728

Reaction score
I had the same issue on mine.

I made new ones from brass. Probably better than original.

Helps if you have a mill, but can be done with a file with skill and patience.
Great suggestion! I know a couple of guys with machine shops. Thanks, Max Wedge!

Max Wedge

Reaction score
NP. 1/4" or so brass stock, mill it as a profile and trim to 1/2" segments. Not too big a job. Radius may need to be hand filed.

One nice thing is if you have to hand fit them, you can get a tighter assembly than the factory, so maybe better than stock.

Back