• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

63 B-body 4-speed in an E-body?

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Hey all, I found a 4-speed transmission that came from a 63 Plymouth Savoy. The tail shaft housing does not have the rear mount brackets, but I'm thinking I could just remove that and replace it with the correct housing. Would this work, or am I missing many more details?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
63 had a flange on the main shaft & used a ball & trunion system so you need to swap the main shaft also

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I forgot to update the thread after hearing back from Brewer's. I got a response same day, which is typical of their awesome customer service, and they said going by the casting numbers, I can use the unit in question with a couple changes.

First, they said the '63 Savoy did not come with an A833, so the unit would have been added later. I did confirm this by looking up the date code - it's a 1970 transmission, so I have the correct main shaft. Second, they confirmed that I would need to change the tail shaft housing and provided their part number. Lastly, I would need change the rear bearing, snap ring, and tail bushing. All very simply stuff.

So I ended up buying the unit, which included big block bell housing with scatter shield, clutch, pressure plate, clutch fork with boot, shifter with linkage, and shifter boot. I'll need the correct shifter linkage, since this linkage is the length for the B body mount, but that's no big deal.

Back