• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 AAR Fast Idle Solenoid and Distributor Wiring

ctaarman

Reaction score
I am restoring an AAR Cuda and have obtained a fast idle solenoid and NOS dual point distributor to replace those missing when I purchased the car. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find correct way to wire them. The fast idle solenoid uses a blue wire which (from pictures I have seen) seems to have a connector mounted to the throttle spring holder (what is connector type??), then the blue wire appears to route from the connector around the front and then to the passenger side of the engine under the carbs and terminates somewhere in the back behind the engine. If there was a wire coming out of the wiring harness, it has been cut off. Any help on wiring and connector type is greatly appreciated.

Similarly, I've purchased new date code correct spark plug wires, but am not sure if there is another connection to the dual point distributor required (other than wire from the coil). Again, any help appreciated much.

halifaxhop

Reaction score
Should go to the vacuum advance with a solenoid retard/advance. Should be a note in the FSM wiring diagram.

EL571

Reaction score
That blue wire is included in a brand new 340 six pack engine wire harness. I believe M&H harness has them and can be purchased through Year One or Classic Industries.

ctaarman

Reaction score
Thanks for responses.

My apology halifaxhop, I'm not sure to which you are referring. And sorry I don't recognize "FSM"".

halifaxhop

Reaction score
No problem think it is in electrical or possibly engine. Kind of hard to find. My Mopar has them online to download if you do not have one.

ctaarman

Reaction score
Just to close this thread out: Much of my confusion with the Fast Idle Solenoid wire part came from fhe parts stores product listings e.g. YearOne that lists a 340 six pack compatible idle solenoid wire in their catalog. That is incorrect (I had ordered one from them earlier this year and learned the hard way). The solenoid wire part is listed as 340 operation but only works for 340 4bbl application (and possibly 440 six pack), but NOT for AAR and TA 340 6 pack cars. The only correct wire I found is the above referenced M&H full engine wiring harness, and that was after calling them directly. The part number for the engine wiring harness including fast idle solenoid wire, is HU-010AE. This M&H wire harness is available as of the date I am writing this from both MegaParts and YearOne. (If you are using the 30% discount on YearOne, do a part search on the above number, else it is difficult to locate.)

Again, thank you to everyone earlier this year who responded to my initial question.

Back