• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger 440 727 Shift Points

schlett7nu1

Reaction score
I have a 70 Challenger 440 with it’s original 727 3410670 auto. The shift points from first to second to third are extremely quick. I adjusted the linkage at the carb and now first to second is perfect. However, second to third remains too quick. Is there a separate adjustment that allows one to lengthen the shift point between second and third? I’m referring to “quick” as the time between shifts under a normal acceleration rate. The tranny is bone stock in a 28k survivor car. Last winter I dropped the pan an oil was clean with no debris in the pan. Currently, 1-2 is around 15mph and 2-3 is under 20mph. I believe 2-3 should be between 25-30mph.
Dereck

Reaction score
I have a 70 440-6 auto with the super performance axle 4:10 that i've had since 1972. it shifts similar to yours with little to no throttle pressure. My uncle who bought the Cuda new often said "it idles at 900 and shifts at 1200 RPM"

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Changing the shift point requires a change in the line pressure on the valve body & changing the governor weights inside the tailhousing , as well as aadjusting the kickdown linkage .
A stage 2 Trans Go shift kit really helps too . if you want to really modify things .
I have only seen 1 727 built correctly ever including the ones I built although I did get close , I should have had the guy that did it teach me what he did , he is likely dead now as that was back in 83 !! In drive It would shift at redline as long as you held your foot on the floor but if you wanted it to shift sooner all you had to do was lift a hair on the throttle , it was perfect !!

oldkimmer

Reaction score
U may have to adjust the top kd rod shorter and the up down rod longer. See if that makes it better or worse. Go 2 turns at a time. It helps if u add the part throttle kick down assembly to ur valve body. Kim

MOPAR Andy

Reaction score
I have a 70 cuda with a 383 and a 727. All original no mods. When I adjust the kick down to the point where it is shifting at the proper speeds I have the issue that when I step on it it does not kick down to the lower gear. When I adjust it to where it kicks down when I step on it then then shift points are to high. Going to upgrade the carb and then try to get it figured out. Through my research this is a common problem and may be outside of my expertise. I have some transmission builders that are good with MOPARS and will have them try to figure it out. They have told me that sometimes they have to modify the kick down rods to get it to work properly. I have attached a book that is a great resource.

20201007_084050.jpg

flohemi

Reaction score
Hello, there is an adjustment on the valve body that if wrong you will not get the shift points correct. 18 and 25 are the correct shift points under normal throttle. Line pressure is a separate adjustment but should be checked to make sure its correct. If you are still having a problem email me and ill instruct you what to check, it involves dropping the pan. [email protected]

Back