• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger Floor Repair options

DHRKRider

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and new to restoration. I am not planning on doing a showroom restoration as this takes too much time and money. However, I do want the project to show I at least made an effort. My question is: Is it feasible to just clean up the floor and repair the major rust area under the driver's side foot area? (Zoom in on the photo) What are my options for this type of repair?
Second Question: I will be replacing the trunk floor. Can removal of the trunk pan be accomplished while on a rotisserie or should this be done on all 4 wheels? Thanks

image001.jpg

image018.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
DHRKRider
Welcome to FEBO from New Jersey
You will find a lot of people here always willing to help.
If you get a chance, go to the welcome section and introduce yourself, may be add some pics.

I am in the process myself in repairing my floor and trunk floor.
Without media blasting, it is sometimes hard to tell condition.
I removed any surface floor rust with 60 grit and wire wheels. I found that my floor was mostly solid except by the driver side front section. I bought the AMD front left panel and will section it in (will not need whole panel)
It looks like you need the same front left section that I do.
Some people do weld in small patches in the needed areas, but you have to make sure the surrounding metal is sound.

Trunk floors always seem to be in poor condition.(mine was shot) I went with a 2 piece AMD floor; I will most likely need at least one trunk floor extension panel.

If you start cutting out other parts of the body at the same time; you may need to weld in bracing, so the body does not flex.

If you go with a left side front driver's side panel, you can weld it in and hide the seams on 3 out of the 4 sides of the panel (sill area, where the panel meets the firewall and in the back/over the under floor brace)
The only visible seam would be on the right side of the panel by the trans hump.

I would clean up the rust on the main floor and then determine how much you would need to patch. You may need so much patching, it would be better to just use full or partial repair panels. You need to determine this first. I used Eastwood rust converter and or encapsulator to seal my floor.

Get yourself good quality plug weld bits (not harbor freight) you will need them.
Best of luck with what you decide and ask questions; many people here gave me really good suggestions.

Pic shows what I have to replace!
Dino2 (1).gif

View attachment 50839

lft fr floor pan showing damage.JPG

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Specific to the trunk floor, I placed jack stands on the frame rails raising the car even off the ground to do the trunk. A rotisserie would make it easier, but not totally necessary IMO.
the car should be level and off the ground to minimize any warping. If you use a rotisserie; I would think you would need to again, weld in braces if you start cutting out panels. Just patching, probably no braces needed.

Back