• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70' challenger front wheel issue

jujuka

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my 4th full restoration of a 70 challenger convertible. I installed a new front disc brake system with standard / factory height spindles and I'm running 245-60's on 15x8 rims with a backspace of 41/2. Pretty much the same as my others, EXCEPT I think I ran 15x7 with 35's on the front on those.
At any rate the clearance between the upper control arm and the rim, WITH, a lead balance bead on the inside of the wheel is less than an eighth of an inch. I'm at a loss as to why this is. I've spent hours researching every part to be sure I installed what I ordered.
I really love building these cars and trying to figure this stuff out myself, but I've hit a wall on this.
any suggestions what is right or wrong with this system?
wheel1a.jpg
wheel2a.jpg

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I have a stock disc front end on my 70 challenger, and run 235/60/15 with 4 1/4 back spacing. It's close as I have about a little over 3/16 of clearance with the wheel weight. Not sure what the clearance would be on a stock rim, maybe another member will tell us?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
What is the brake system brand? You may have to run a half inch spacer between the wheel and rotor.

jujuka

Reaction score
I used the right stuff detailing thru summit. I've used this same unit before but never noticed the clearance issue.
thank you rf! that is close, very similar to mine. I suppose I can go to a flat lead tape, which will help. I still need to have an alignment done but I'm unsure if that will kick the top of the wheel out a bit?

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I need to have my alignment done too after replacing all the bushings, I'm sure it's off! Maybe that all it is.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
I have 15x7 rims with the 235/60/15 Goodyear Polyglas tires but when they were balanced they used a stick on type weight.They called it static balancing I believe. Not the hammer on edge lead weights. No issues.

Robert Franke

Reaction score
Is the camber off that much? Eyeball building should have your tires close to be able to go to fe shop..8s on front?..I would double ck the back spacing...4.5 should be perfect.

Robert Franke

Reaction score
One last thought. If you wanna MAKE IT WORK. you can grind some clearance at upper ball joint lip...wont hurt a thing as long as you use common sense.

jujuka

Reaction score
yeah rf- I was thinking of grinding off some of the upper arm as a last resort. as far as 7s with a 4.5 back space, wouldn't I still have the same problem? I plan on pulling the wheel off to check the back space to be sure I wasn't sent a 5" back space by mistake today. the camber seems good, squared and straight up and down on my lift.
thanks for your insight

Robert Franke

Reaction score
Yea th 8s on front would just put it closer to th fender. I've got 2 like new magnum 500s jegs sells in the box..bought mine with new 7s all the way arround. Put 8s on th rear.

jujuka

Reaction score
I would probably jump on those if I was running magnums, but went with rally wheels on this one. I peeled off the lead weight and replaced the wheel and it looks a lot better as far as clearance to the rim. maybe 1/2" now. It is the right back space so I think I'll leave it but have the wheel balanced with a stick on as pb mentioned when it goes in for an alignment

Back